Sign in to follow this  
a18x vw

Early Black Valver Base Model Project

Wanted to build a useable daily with a little more comfort than my mk2 had so purchased a base car and got to doing some part finding.

Iam not very versed in spanner work so the hunting of rare or fun parts and sticking to a stict budget holds the most enjoyment for me anything else practically I can do is a bonus!

Thought I would stick everything I have sourced so far here and see if anyone can help me with the rest.

Here is the base of the project a G plate Corrado Valver(kr) in standard form, its a pretty solid base and is largely free from rust bar the front wings which are crap and the doors are not the greayest quality and have sagged over the last 20 odd years.

IMG00312-20091213-0903.jpg

IMG00314-20091213-0903.jpg

IMG00310-20091213-0902.jpg

First stop for me is always the wheels so got these, allow the ebay pics the dishes at the polishers getting freshed up. They are Artec Turbo Twists in 17x8.5 et54

BhiCcO2kKGrHqQH-CoEsMKgdyBhBLJlhcWh.jpg

Next was to get some wing replacements so got these US spec (no repeater hole) off the bay, they got a little damaged in transit but should hammer out ok.

IMG00397-20100130-0954.jpg

I really want this car to handle well and have a bit of power, now I could have just brought a VR but where is the fun in that? plus I love 4 pots and have the most experience of them if it goes wrong, cant remeber what order this lot was purchased but was a combo of sellers on forums, German ebay and GSF.

VR Subframe stripped and powdercoated black, will be spraying the PAS rack and ARB myself.

IMG00405-20100130-0957.jpg

Connected to this I got VR arms with Powerflex bushes, VR hubs/uprights with new VAG bearings pressed in (also in need of cleaning up so will have to use some clever masking to avoid painting the bushes or bearings) Painted VR driveshafts, New ball joints and a set of fully rebuilt H&R coilovers with new housings and adjuster rings and rebuilt shocks.

IMG00401-20100130-0956.jpg

IMG00406-20100130-0957.jpg

IMG00399-20100130-0956.jpg

I also picked up a VR rear beam fitted with Powerflex bushes and Goodrich braided hoses also due to be stripped down and painted.

IMG00408-20100130-1435.jpg

Now for the power part

My last mk2 8V was fairly well worked and I was really with the power it put down so wanted build something similar for this car.

First stop is an ABF, sadly its attached to an Ibizia still but should be picking it up this weekend

DSC02209.jpg

Secondly I had a head built for me, which is gas flowed port matched and the valve seats have been modified and then it was put back together with new guides, seals, etc. Not taken pics of the head but here is the flow graph.

untitled.jpg

Had some 9a cames laying around which I believe to have the biggest lobes, so these will be going off to Newman who say they can re-profile them to 272 degrees.

I have also now got a stainless four branch manifold and will also be running a 42mm inlet and some form of filter.

And now to my shopping list this is more so I know what to still find but if anyone can help out please get in touch.

I need...

- 312mm and 256mm calipers and carriers from a TT, MK4 anni, Octavia VRS, Leon, etc.

- New or nearly new VR Inner and outer CVj's

- A Nice stainless exhaust system the less boxes the better.

- Black carpet set

- Performance ARB's

- Black Silicone hoses

- Aftermarket management(if cheap)

And anything else nice that would make the car look pretty or go faster!

Drop me a pm if you have any of the above.

Forgot to mention the car is a proper base model with no sunroof and keep fit windows which is perfect for keeping the weight down.

Oh and I won this 13.5" wood momo wheel before christmas and had to find something to match,

BgzemygmkKGrHqMH-DkEsLtDFgHBLGsW1cd.jpg

ooops...

Bh3T9UgmkKGrHqUH-CsEsLgljoTBLLUtruC.jpg

Bh3TtgB2kKGrHqQH-CoEsMKgdyBhBLLU53r.jpg

Artecs will be getting sold when I get the dishes back and will be running these Momo wheels in 17x8.5 et37

Blimey.. you don't hang about. Looks like it's going to be an interest project! Keep us posted with updates :)

Thanks for the comments

Dunno why Iam selling them really Anton guess I just preferred the Momo's although I have the fear of them not turning up as I paid for them 3 weeks ago and they still aren't here :pale:

Will make a proper for sale thread when I get them built back up.