Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Immobiliser/barrel dilemma

Have bought a 1994 Corrado 8v that has a broken steering lock and no ignition barrel. The immobiliser ring is still intact. The car starts and runs perfectly with the original key (with transponder chip) taped inside the immobiliser ring, whilst using a screwdriver to activate the ignition switch.

I just can't work out what to do to get it fixed. Obviously, I need a new steering lock (for adjustable column), but not sure what to do about the barrel. Presumably, I'd need a new barrel, but am I right in thinking these can't be re-tumbled? If this is the case, the original key will be redundant. Is it easy to take the chip out of the key and put it into a new key? On Vagcat there are two barrels- one for the immobiliser (much more expensive). What's the difference between the barrels? Are there any other options? Is it easy to code new keys? Was hoping this would be easy to sort :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Onto number 9 now ey Andy :D

Yup 8) Lovely car, but not for keeps. Wish I could afford it as a daily...

I'm not sure about the barrel in the ignition switch or that end of it. However if you just want to have one key for the whole car it may be worth considering a new ignition barrel and then retumbling the door and boot locks to suit.

Anyone know if any other cars used the same immobiliser barrel and non-adjustable steering lock? Would be best to try and get the whole lot including key from one car I guess.

Onto number 9 now ey Andy :D

Yup 8) Lovely car, but not for keeps. Wish I could afford it as a daily...

Fair enough, saving it from being broken?

you normally get a key with a new barrel but for the immobiliser cant you build it into a fob?

You can swap the chips over, but the barrel for immobiliser equipped cars is different to normal- I guess because it needs to have the immobiliser ring fitted around it :shrug:

May have to just have a look around a scrappy for a late 1990s Golf or Passat, and see if they have the parts.