Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

G60 Caliper Piston size

Has anyone got a set of Girling G60 calipers that they could please measure the piston in for me.

I'm looking to buy a repair kit for some calipers, but i'm away from home at the moment - could anyone point me in the right direction?

Is this the correct one (first on the list, 54mm)

http://www.biggred.co.uk/vwshop.html

If you mean the standard calipers as fitted to the Corrado G60 and VR6 then yes the piston size is 54mm.

There are some calipers actually called 'G60' which are a twin-pot design and fitted to the Audi S2 IIRC. I'm guessing you mean the standard Corrado calipers though :)

Tom

Brilliant, thanks for that - i'll order the kit, but does anyone know if there is better/cheaper? Mine are the single piston design...

Also wouldnt mind a bit of advice on pads/disks, i've read that VW are still very good, and Ferodo DS2500 pads, but i can't see them listed for the Girling Calipers. How do you rate Febi-bilstein disks/pads?

Rich

I got my rebuild kit from VAG for those calipers. It consisted of the dust seals and main piston seal and I think it was about £12 + the dreaded...not very expensive and if your pistons aren't scored then there's no reason why you can't re-use them anyway.

As for discs and pads, I bought genuine VAG for both. Febi-Bilstein are pretty much of OE quality anyway, and there's a minefield of aftermarket discs and pads available too. A lot of it is down to personal preference though, the sort of driving you do and how much hammer you give the brakes. Personally I found the VAG discs and pads ideal, even 8 laps of the 'Ring in my old 8V didn't give them any grief.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're just doing pretty much normal driving in pretty much normal conditions on pretty much normal roads then there's nothing better than standard VAG. But if you want more bite, feel or any other number of variables then it's worth delving into the massive available supply of aftermarket pads. I personally would avoid grooved or drilled discs in all circumstances, unless you're looking at serious track use.

That's all just my opinion though, I'm sure others will think differently.

HTH a bit though!

Tom

Yeah, that helps thanks. I'll be getting the kit from VAG then. I will be mainly using the brakes on the road, might try the odd track day. The car will be around 900kg though, since they're going on a mk2 golf, so the brakes might not have to do so much work.