Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Replacing top mounts

How easy is it to replace the top mounts and how do you do it?

This si the state of mine at the more

Drivers side

100205_165646.jpg

Passenger side

100205_165625.jpg

they arnt too bad to do, easier on a 2 post ramp, and a 4wheel alignment would be recommened, as thre strut would need to come out!

depends how mechanically minded you are? :D

they arnt too bad to do, easier on a 2 post ramp, and a 4wheel alignment would be recommened, as thre strut would need to come out!

depends how mechanically minded you are? :D

Not really is the answer to that, so not really a DIY job then :(

That not hard... Im not a expert mechanic but did this work when I changed to my coils.

Just lift upp the car, let the wheel touch the ground so it dont just fall down.

Unbolt the two bolts for the shock down on the hub and then the top bolt, and then lift up the car so that the shock can be easly removed.

Easy peasy!

Blake services in Stroud did mine before- disn't take them long at all- give 'em a call :)

Make sure you put VW mounts on, pretty sure you can put VR6 ones on- worth doing especially as you're changing the suspension soon ;)

to be honest if you have basic mechanical skills, then give it a bash, if you get stuck, just pm me,

but as the wompa sed, 2 bolts for the strut, top mount bolt and remove, i used a special ratchet through with allen key in the top to stop the it from spinning whilst undoing the top strut nut, hope this helps.

Blake services in Stroud did mine before- disn't take them long at all- give 'em a call :)

Make sure you put VW mounts on, pretty sure you can put VR6 ones on- worth doing especially as you're changing the suspension soon ;)

Ya just going to put some half decent used ones on for now then get new ones when i get everything els done.

How much was it Andy? if you can remember

Jake, don't bother using secondhand bits- total false economy, especially with rubber parts! Just wait until you can afford to do it properly- much less hassle. Can't remember how much it cost- wasn't that much- an hours labour + parts. They are very good on price + they sourced the genuine parts. Tell him I sent you ;)

Jake, don't bother using secondhand bits- total false economy, especially with rubber parts! Just wait until you can afford to do it properly- much less hassle. Can't remember how much it cost- wasn't that much- an hours labour + parts. They are very good on price + they sourced the genuine parts. Tell him I sent you ;)

Ya thats a fair shout can you pm me the number please

I've done it countless times now on various cars, Mk2's and my Rado etc. Fairly easy really. :)

Just as long as you've got somewhere to do it!

Make sure you buy VW items though, rest are sh*te.