Sign in to follow this  
pummer67

early to late interior swap

i am going to change an early grey interior to a black leather interior.

i have all seats with loom for front heated seats.

what i need to know is i have a centre console and dash but with no switches. do i need late switches or will my early ones fit. e.g. headlight switch, rear screen, abs light, fog lights switch.

i also dont have the late heater with the dials but i do want to change this aswell. i have read a few things on here about this swap but am unsure as people have different views on whether its possible.

i also believe i need new window switches. is this correct.

any help and advice wil be greatly appreciated as i have only had my car about 6months so i am a bit of an amateur when it comes to the differences between early and late.

also if anyone has any of the switches i require please let me know.

mark

Did similar myself 8)

So you have a late dash and centre console? I think the early dash switches will fit, which saves swapping all the plugs, you'll need late heater dials for the late centre console which is easier than making them fit an early console IIRC.

You will need new window switches as they fit in the doorpods not straight in the door card. You then have the choice of sourcing window looms to plug in the fusebox or rewiring the plugs into the old loom. If you swap plugs only, you will have to swap the wires on the mirror motors if you want them to operate logically ie not back-to-front. I'm just living with mine but I'll probably swap them sometime.....probably! Mirror switch wiring guidance HERE as there are 6 wires instead of 5 and the colours are slightly different.

You will also need late door opening levers and surrounds, late door grab handles and the late mirror switch that fits in the driver's grab handle (sometimes you can get the handle complete with switch) Also the grab handles have the same insert as the early grab handles but it's nice to get newer bits - be aware the handles don't always get sold with the inserts :nono:

Have fun - I did!!

so switches on dash all fit and are a straight swap. Is it much work to change them to the modern looking switches with 2switches per hole? Thanks for advice mate. Now in process of buying grab handles with mirror switch and leather inserts.

The headlight switch is a straight swap !

I dont know about the others,sorry,

you will need the newer dash air vents. the outer ones are the same size as the older ones,but the two middle ones are not inter-changeable,between early and late.

As already said you can use your existing headlight loom for the later style switch.

If you use later style HRW/FOG/ABS switches then you'll need the later looms as the early looms won't fit the switches.

You can get away with the early heater (slide) controls instead of the later (knob) controls but you will need to make a plate up for the control panel. The hole in the later centre console is larger than the one in the early panel. I would keep the early slide controls as they seem more reliable than the later knob controls.

The four dash air vents differ between early and late cars.

The storage bin at the bottom of the centre console is deeper on the later one.

Again as already said your early leccy window door looms won't fit the later switches.

Same goes for the drivers side leccy window switch.

Interior door handles have already been explained.

And should you need any parts :wink:

And to finish off the late spec look you can change the indicator/wiper stalks for later ones. They are simply plug and play. If you do then you'll also need the later cars steering/ignition surround as the hazard lights switch is different.

so switches on dash all fit and are a straight swap. Is it much work to change them to the modern looking switches with 2switches per hole? Thanks for advice mate. Now in process of buying grab handles with mirror switch and leather inserts.

No. The early switches are smaller than the later ones. The are not as wide. When used in a later dash they do not clip into place like the later ones. They just flap about in the dash.

No. The early switches are smaller than the later ones. The are not as wide. When used in a later dash they do not clip into place like the later ones. They just flap about in the dash.

Sorry if some of my switch info was a bit wide of the mark - every day's a school day!! 8)

Yeah the later sunny switch etc is a good one to change, you can do it with just a late motor and cover/switch/light unit and loom but you have to chop the motor a bit or go the whole late roof assembly. I've had no roof issues so just chopped the motor, still works a treat - can put up some pics later if you like or i'll find my old thread!

Edit HERE it is 8)

Edit: You'll also need a later bit of trim to go around the sunroof aperture as the motor cover is a slightly different design - see below!

Late cover - early trim! (Large).JPG[/attachment:38sdubqm]

Can anyone confirm where the disconnection point is for the door loom?

I am fitting late door cards to a 1992 G60 & would prefer to replace the loom rather than soldering on new plugs :D

I am fitting late door cards to a 1992 G60 & would prefer to replace the loom rather than soldering on new plugs :D

I think the drivers side goes direct to the fusebox.

The passenger side is under the shelf/tray thing,in the loom.

I think the drivers side goes direct to the fusebox.

The passenger side is under the shelf/tray thing,in the loom.

Does anyone have late door looms for sale??