Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

Head Unit Loom Help (Diagram)

Hi All!

I'm even more useless with wiring than mechanics so I've drawn the loom in my own simple terms below.

My problem is that the head unit loom in my car is shagged, butchered and needs replacing. I've bought a new loom which looks fine, all the colours and connection points are in the right places, however my old/current loom has some extra features that I'm not sure the function of and if I need them.... please see pic

pioneerloom.jpg

The left hand side with the speaker wires is fine. It's the right hand side I'm puzzled with! My new loom just has the wires straight from block to block, nice and easy. My current loom has the red (ignition switch) and yellow (battery) wire all joined up, fused and something else I'm not sure of (see pic 2 below).

11022010182.jpg

Can I just fit the new straight forward loom and drive away problem free or do I need to incorporate this connection and fusing of the ignition and battery wires? And what the hell is the big box in pic 2??

Cheers for any help!

That big block looks to me to be a transformer...no idea why it would be needed for a stereo...does it not run on 12v? And also it doesnt make sense as to why the constant and ignition have been connected because that would automatically mean that the ignition would be always live....

Fit your new connector block, it should work fine, it should come with bullet connectors for the 12v constant/ignition and you'll probably need to switch these over as the corrado ones are backwards..

Let me know if this works?

After looking on the net to find out what coloured wires in the block relate to which coloured wires in the loom, it seems that on the black (power block) they don't match up and therefore the new loom doesn't work :mad2:

For the life of my I cant see how to get the wires out of the connector block? Can someone please put me out of my misery. :confused4:

The 'big box' in picture 2 is an inductor. This is in the permanent live supply to stop altenator wine. You don't need it there, but its a good idea to keep it.

I'll check on the wiring diagram for the ISO in your corrado & get back...

Head unit is working now but the CD changer isn't... gonna investigate this orange wire as its currently redundant and the head unit works so could be something to do with the CD Changer. there is a separate wire from the head unit to the changer but... time will tell. Cheers for the help so far :wink: