Sign in to follow this  
hairflick

why oh why?

Since 1990 I have waited to own, "the porsche killer", the headline on my aunt's ADAC (German AA magazine), and in August 2002 I took possession. Lilac 1994 VR with HPi 44000 miles and FSH, some VWFSH. Owned previously by a car collector, and had done 1000 miles in its previous year. Car sold to me by dealer in Burton, as, "as sweet as a nut". Pretty soon the sweet as a nut C, with which in the mad halceon early days I chased bikers up the A38, started to remove money from my bank account.

Below find a list of the damage so far... :shock:

Clutch, starter motor, ABS sensor, bushes, idle valve, HT leads, radiator, CV joint, steering rod, all in less than 16 months. All adding up to a tidy sum of over 1600 quid! They told me a rare low mileage C would hold value? Can anyone explain if this is common?, and if the extreme low mileage of this 94 C maybe to blame?

Oh its not all bad news, the C is wonderful, mobile poetry

this seems more appropriate in the "general car chat" thread :wink:

anyway clutches are a wear and tear item so it all really depends on how they have been driven.....i know for example Joe M has just replaced his after over 100k miles on its original clutch,radiators can also go thru age afterall if its a 94 reg'd Corrado its still 8 years + and it all depends on whether previous owners have changed the coolant regularly too........HT leads also age and considering the VR engine bay is quite a hostile enviroment(fairly hot) then these will more than likely go through age rather than miles

Mines a '94 L reg on lowish miles 75K with FSH bought end of september last year. Since I've had it I've needed: new oil cooler, oil pump, sparks, HT leads and it's been off the road with on going oil pressure problems for about 3 months... Oh and I found hidden damage to the cross member and realised after I had bought it that it should have a late bumper not the early one currently gracing the front end... I dont regret buying a C it's just a shame that I can't enjoy it!