Sign in to follow this  
kerr200

g60 rad fan problems

having problem with fan coming on as soon as key is turned on before motor even starts. replaced rad fan switch can even unplug switch and it still comes on when i turn key. but if i turn off climate controls inside car it shuts off the fan. what could cause this?

i found that this is normal on these cars because ac starts when in defrost or the first four positions that are for ac but not in the other to heater positions is this correct? if so im wondering what is the proper temp for the rad fan to come on. does the inside temp gauge have anything to do with this because it can raise above 210 without turning on

Have you tried using the search on this site? I had a similar problem with mine, but sold the car before i had a chance to fix it. Have a search mate, you may find its the sensor up near the ISV causing it, or the relays in front of the coolant bottle.

thanks for the reply and yes i have tried doing a search for any even remotely like my problem this is what ive found from another forum Just to make it clear on the cars with the sliding heater controls the AC will turn on when you have the heater in defrost and in the first few positions on the slider. When the AC turns on a signal is sent to the ECM to bump the idle to compensate for the compressor kicking in and the fan will also turn on to keep the motor cool. These two speeds are controlled by the fan switch on the lower drivers side end tank on the rad. There is also an after run circuit on the car for the rad fan and for fuel pressure so these can also play with things as well. If the rad fan is coming on after the car is turned off it is probably the rad or fuel after run system kicking in. If you look at one of the brackets that go from the head to the intake you will see a single wire sensor, unplug this sensor and tape over the connector and see if it does it again. That sensor is the temp sensor for the rad after run system and over time they can fail causing the rad fan to come on when the car is turned off.