Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

VR6 Front Brakes

Hi Folks, I'm struggling to find a defintive brake upgrade thread for the VR6 and could do with some advice, if not a shopping list please!

My original fronts are really really manky, and I'm sure my offside front disk is warped. It vibrates under heavy braking like I'm slowing on rumble strips, and makes all kind of mad vibrations at certain road speeds (not engine speeds).

The backplates are really grim and falling apart, and the whole setup certainly look like its wearing 17years of scorched dust! I understand that to improve brakes it's not just about the disks and pads, but also the caliper's free movement you need to remember, when talking about old cars... I'm also wondering why it's warped in the first place. presumably from the caliper seizing, the disk not running smoothly and the disk getting hot. Heaven forbid i replace disks and pads only and it seizes and warps again.

On the one hand I'd probably get a performance improvement just by replacing old with new standard. But if im going to lash out, what can i do to improve over standard and what are the key mod parts?

I'm on a bit of a budget, having just replaced all dampers, bushes, wishbones and exhaust (that's what interest free credit cards are for, right? :shock: ), but obviously need to make sure I'm stopping safely. Id rather pay now to mod the car than regret not upgrading if its simple enough.

So what are the facts? I understand Standard fronts are 280mm. 288mm seems to be a popular upgrade, with 312mm being a bit more hassle needing bigger rims, and not as big a step up from 288>312, that 280>288, or so I understand. :confused4:

my ABS lights up and goes off, and pulses on ignition as it should. Is it likely that 15+yo sensors will be cooked into the old setup?

Chris

That's pretty much it ...

Replace standard with standard = pretty good

Replace standard with 288 = a bit better but more expensive

Replace standard with 312 = a lot better but more expensive still and would usually need bigger rims unless you're running non standard

Replace standard with Brembos or other such bigger discs and callipers = far better but way more expensive and still have the rim problem

There's loads of info on the forum if you use http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/search.php and take 30 seconds to read how it's best used.

Replace standard with 312 = a lot better but more expensive still and would usually need bigger rims unless you're running non standard

Replace standard with Brembos or other such bigger discs and callipers = far better but way more expensive and still have the rim problem

There's loads of info on the forum if you use http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/search.php and take 30 seconds to read how it's best used.

Been looking into this too. I have upgraded to 288 fronts and have been wondering about about going to 312. Can I keep the same calipers and just change to discs or am I being stupid?

Also, what is required to do a 280 rear set-up?

Been looking into this too. I have upgraded to 288 fronts and have been wondering about about going to 312. Can I keep the same calipers and just change to discs or am I being stupid?

You need different carriers and discs the pads and calipers can be reused

Been looking into this too. I have upgraded to 288 fronts (snip)

Can you give me a list of parts you needed as well as the standard 280mm standard front parts, please?

:help:

Be prepared for some swearing. Unless calipers have been off before they are going to be a bitch to get off. The abs sensor will be welded into its tiny hole so the chances of getting that out whole are very slim. But at the end you will have wau better brakes even if just refreshing the standard stuff. Obviously an upgrade is nice but can get costly especially brembos etc. Good luck. My top tip is get everything new in advance. Chances are bolts will round, brake pipes will be corroded etc so make sure you have everything to do the job. Nothing worse than getting started on a weekend only to find the bolt you had to cut off is specific vw and you cant get one till monday. :D

yeah the union connection from the flexi to the solid brake line rounded on both fronts on mine had to get some solid brake lines made up aswell

The definitive Rear 280mm thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68661

I've read that but nowhere does it say what I need! Are the calipers the same and just the discs and carriers are different?

You need different carriers and discs the pads and calipers can be reused

Where would I find the right carriers then?

Be prepared for some swearing. Unless calipers have been off before they are going to be a bitch to get off. The abs sensor will be welded into its tiny hole so the chances of getting that out whole are very slim. But at the end you will have wau better brakes even if just refreshing the standard stuff. Obviously an upgrade is nice but can get costly especially brembos etc. Good luck. My top tip is get everything new in advance. Chances are bolts will round, brake pipes will be corroded etc so make sure you have everything to do the job. Nothing worse than getting started on a weekend only to find the bolt you had to cut off is specific vw and you cant get one till monday. :D

Thanks, sounds like good advice :)