Sign in to follow this  
ja32953

hey guys,..whats with this?

well i never figured out my gauge cluster problem,..but a few nights ago,..i went and got a new battery,...becuz mine kept dying,...i can drive around town and stop to get some grub...come out and no juice,...last night i got home then this morning..itd dead,...took it to discount to get a full charge...got home groabbed my girl,..went back out but ..no juice?...what is causing the drain?

Sounds like the alternator isn't charging it. You'll need to put a voltmeter across the battery when the engine is running. You're looking for 13.8 - 14.4V. Anything less than 12V with or without the engine running means you need a new diode pack in the alternator, about £20ish from the dealer.

Could also be the wiring to/from the alternator and the main Earth strap... Check that the Earth from the battery to the chassis and then to the gearbox isn't green... If it is, change it...

Also the lives to the starter and then the one from the starter to the alternator are known to do the same... :?

Green copper = oxidised = high resistance = sod all charging occurs and you get a flat battery! :?

The cables aren't expensive or difficult to fit, so it's worth having a good look at 'em... 8)

,..i went and got a new battery,...becuz mine kept dying,....what is causing the drain?

Just go back to whoever u got the battery from and ask them to put a charge tester on the battery. It takes 5 mins. They are duty bound to do that as it is in all european manufacturers protocols for their retailers. If it confirm that you are charging, (I'd be surprised if you weren't) as the ignition light would come on - then, check for really daft things like - your bootlid switch not working, leaving the bootlid light on all nite, or the alarm system not dropping to 20ma default current drain.

In either case, an inductive test of the power cable off the battery will enable you to work out whats happening. Its only 10 mins work from a good battery shop!