ridlymaca

Project G60 - Now sold

Hello

Thought it was about time I got some pictures up of my G60 and tell the story so far, I didn't really intend it to such be such a large project but thats corrados for you! This isn't my first VW, I have had a couple of Golf GTI's in the past and a corrado 8v (Pic below) more recently which served me well but I just wanted something with a bit more power. The G60 I ended up buying was rebuilt (not very well) by a VW as part of a competion for charity, I found out about this car from a friend who works for VW he did a quick search on their database and found this as well as a VR6 they had as a part ex which I decided against, they had carried out the following work on the car:

Bump strips removed

Bodywork stripped down and resprayed

Engine stripped down to bottom and rebuilt

Brakes repaced

Lowering springs fitted

17" TSW Alloys

New exhaust

Supercharger stripped and rebuilt by them

68mm pulley and chipped

Jabbasport induction kit

Loads of trim etc replaced roof rails/fog lights/interior plastics I think they must have raided the parts store!

The interior was retrimed in red leather.

Despite this extensive work being carried out I knew it needed some bits doing as follows:

MFA not working

Central locking not working

Spoiler only works on switch

Lowering springs must go

Wheels need changing

1 Headlight relector damaged

Old alarm which seems to be tempromental!

New Battery

Only 1 bulb worked on on the dash

Heater not working

Anyway despite this I bought the car, heres some pictures of how it looked when I first got it:

Old Car:

OldCar.jpg

NewCar1.jpg

NewCar3.jpg

NewCar2.jpg

The first problem occured on my way home from picking the car up, the oil feed pipe to the supercharger came off and wrapped itself around the fan ripping the blades off and giving the engine bay a coating of fresh oil. On closer inspection the pipe was damaged at one end and should have been replaced when they overhauled the charger

Anyway I ordered a new oil feed pipe and purchased another fan, down to my mates garage and I was back on the road.

Whilst in the garage my mate said the suspension was not in the greatest condition and would need sorting. Rather than messing about with what was on there I purchased some KW Varient 1's, once fitted it was a vast improvement on handling.

A couple of weeks later I was back again this time we took the dash out and replaced the heater matrix, finally I didn't have to drive everywhere in 2 pairs of gloves! Also replaced the battery as the existing one wasn't holding charge.

Around this time the door handle broke, easily fixed with daves16v kit

Now for the wheels, once again another probem the TSW's on there where the wrong offset, they would rub against the bodywork when steering and looked s##t, onto EBAY for them... I purchased some 16" Keskin KT4's with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD 3's, again once it didn't only look better but the car was much better to drive.

Around this time I got rid of the old alarm as it wasn't a CAT 1 and seemed to only work intermitantly! It was replaced with a clifford concept 650 (not connected to central locking until that is fixed).

Also got a decent 2nd hand headlight to replace the one with the dodgy reflector, new front G60 badge, replaced all the bulbs in clocks and instrument panel.

Heres some pics of the car with the new Coilovers and wheels:

NewCar17.jpg

NewCar12.jpg

Anyway a few weeks later I was out for a drive when what do you know a large bang came from the engine and then a load knocking noise, this turned out to be one of the pistons disintegrating and chunks of metal being compressed in the engine. :bad-words: :censored:

So down to my mates garage again! the engine got stripped down and I dropped it off at stealth for the bottom end to be rebuilt, at the same time the I had the head flowed. Whilst this work was being done I had the supercharger checked and then a Stage 4 rebuild done, also sourced a standard airbox to replace the Jabbasport induction kit.

A couple of weeks later we had the bits back and the engine was rebuilt, you can also see the TT wipers fitted...

Engine out

NewCar6.jpg

Engine after rebuild

NewCar8.jpg

NewCar7.jpg

NewCar9.jpg

NewCar10.jpg

NewCar11.jpg

Once all back together the car drives spot on (so it should). :clap:

I have started work on getting the central locking working, the pump was dead so I got a replacement only to find out it was the wrong model (there are 4 different types of pump!!). I now have the correct one and once fitted I can get the pins to go up and down by triggereing it straight from the battery but I can't get it to work from the handles, I have also cleaned out the locking mechanisms so the next step will be checking the wiring.

I have also started work on getting the MFA to work, all it has on the display is the clock the MFA button does nothing! :scratch: I have tried a different set of clocks but no difference, I have just got hold of a MFA/wiper stalk so will fit that and see if that makes a difference, if not i'm a bit stumped what to do next :shrug: !

Purchased a Boost gauge from TomD fitted today (managed to get it to 12psi!)....

NewCar18.jpg

A couple of other pics:

NewCar15.jpg

NewCar14.jpg

Sorry about the lack of photos of bits going wrong, I only seem to think about photos when its working!

I think thats it for now, plans for future are:

Finish central locking and get alarm attached to it

Get MFA working

New Exhaust, though its new the one on there is not the best quality

Replace driver side seat bolster

Fix spoiler, ideas anyone?

Fit an Oil pressure gauge

Replace aerial, seems to have got water in the base over time

Rolling road, see what power its producing

Get a car I can use daily, after all the moeny I have spent I don't like taking it out in the salt/grit/potholes, maybe another corrado!

Cheers

Scott

Edited by ridlymaca

You seemed to have had some bad luck, but looks like you have got it sorted swiftly. The bay looks very tidy and Im liking the wheels. Nice corrado!

You seemed to have had some bad luck, but looks like you have got it sorted swiftly. The bay looks very tidy and Im liking the wheels. Nice corrado!

Cheers, it has taken the last year on and off to get to this position so swiftish! I'm not sure about the wheels now i've had them on for a while, I like the look of a few of the schmidt ones so I think i'll be changing soon, also at the moment i'm 7.5 all round but I want to go wider at the back :norty:

how much did you payed for the engine rebuilt?nice and clean angine bay...lovely colour!

I reckon it was just over the 2K to get the bottom end rebuilt (new Pistons+crank), flowed head, new clutch, stage 4 supercharger, and some other ancillary bits. That doesn't include labour but i'm good mates with a mechanic whos helped me out alot, there are certain things I don't mind having a go at doing on the car but rebuilding the engine is not one of them!

I did think about going down the 20vt route or even breaking it but i've always wanted a G60 and once it was done its all worth it :D

looking good to me. do like the silver rados

ill keep an eye out for you, being a local

whats the deal with the piece of poop in the avatar picture then?

hey man she is looking good, giving her lots of attention. For the spoiler not working, i know you said you had tried swapping the clocks to try and get the MFA working but did you try the the spoiler once you had the swapped the clocks over? I found the spoiler came to life once I had swapped the clocks over in mine.

whats the deal with the piece of poop in the avatar picture then?

Never quite got round to updating my avatar, just changed it now! I very rarely see any other corrados around Leicester but i'll keep an eye out for you

hey man she is looking good, giving her lots of attention. For the spoiler not working, i know you said you had tried swapping the clocks to try and get the MFA working but did you try the the spoiler once you had the swapped the clocks over? I found the spoiler came to life once I had swapped the clocks over in mine.

Thanks for the advie I had the clocks out again this week and tried the spoiler but no luck!

To get the MFA working I also tried changing the MFA stalk with no luck :confused4: Not quiet sure what to try next to get it working, I assume some of the wiring will route through the ECU so could be a problem with that :scratch: Any ideas would be much apreciated :salute:

On a better note I now have central locking :clap: Stripped both doors down and found part of the wiring had a cut in it so got that fixed, the pump was then working when I turned the key but the door pins just moved slightly. After a couple of hours checking over the vac pipes I found a T piece behind the dash which was not connected properly, reconnected this and all working fine.

One final thing whilst checking fuses etc. I found a relay that was broken it has the following part number on it 357 906 363. The thing is when I search for this number it says it is the fuel pump relay, this can't be the case as it wouldn't drive. I can't see what else it could be as lights, fans etc are all working, does anyone know what this could be for??

Cheers

Scott

Hello

Thought I would post a few small updates, firstly I have replaced the red gear knob with a new vw black leather one (£30 with discount, usually £36) along with a gaitor I purchased off ebay:

IMG_0669.jpg

Fitted some ddi dials purchased in a group buy last year, along with this I also sprayed the needles with flourescent orange paint and mounted a uv bulb where the original bulbs used to be, the needles now light up along with the new dials. I have taken a pic but it doesn't doesn't really do them justice

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

I have fitted a SWG scuttle panel again I purchased in a group buy last year, it was a bit tricky getting it on but its a vast improvement on what was there before:

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Also an updated headlight loom from dg auto tech fitted, very good quality bit of kit:

IMG_0670.jpg

I still have a problem the the MFA screen it is stuck on the time, we have so far replaced the wiper stalk, clocks, ecu and tested a number of sensors which seem to all be working. We have tested that when you press the wiper stalk you get a signal at the back of the clocks which you do.

Does anyone have any ideas what to try next? There is a blue plug which the boost pipe plugs into on the back of the clocks which I haven't replaced yet I assume it converts the boost into an electrical signal, could it be this?

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Scott

That is smart. Corrados really work in greys and silvers very teutonic. I have a g60 itch, when i finally get round to scratching it i hope my car looks half as good as yours!

By the way how much was the headlight upgrade?

Tom

Thanks, I think I paid about £80 for the loom but I have a feeling DG have stopped producing them now, definately worth upgrading the loom though it makes quite a difference. The car may be up for sale soon, maybe you could add another silver one to your collection

yeah my 1.8 has an upgraded loom but the 2.0 does'nt, i'd transfer it but its a homemade jobby and does'nt look as good as the dg box. 1 day i'll have a silver g60 although i'm tempted to rebuild the 1.8 as a g60, but its early days yet. i'll tease myself some more if you put it up for sale.

Right just spoken to VW about 'sender vacuum housing' part number 191 907 346 J, if they had one it would cost me £150:o but they are no longer in stock. Does anyone know if this was broken it would cause my mfa to freeze on the time screen? Also does anyone have a spare one of these I could potentially purchase?

Cheers

Scott

A quick update, I have sold the keskins and gone back to original sebrings, had them refurbed and stuck on some continental premium contacts.

0d46be3c.jpg

4c4dc3ee.jpg

Still sits a bit low even with the kw's wound right up, not quite sure how I'm going to get it raised further!

A bit of an update, started getting water in both footwells every time it rained played around with doorcard scuttle area and some other things trying to locate the issue. In the i traced the leak back to the top of the windscreen which i found a bit strange until i pulled away the trim round the windscreen and found a 2 holes and a serious amount of rust:

ae3bf4ec5e4adb8da9c2221f220e2cc1.jpg

d02a17a36e304666d72854dd412b2ccb.jpg

A bit of welding and rust treatment required but should be able to get back out in the rain shortly without getting wet!

Unfortunately the screen cracked when it was taken out so that will have to be replaced to, should have it back from the body shop shortly.

Cheers

Scott

Hello,

Another update, the exhaust was coming to the end of its life so I got it replaced yesterday. Also had a sports cat fitted as it seemed to raise questions at mot time not having one, never got a straight answer on what the cut over date was for having one. Exhaust is a powerflow 2 box system and so far very happy with it not to noisy until you really put your foot down, then again the last exhaust was blowing out of every joint so it was always going to be quieter than that. A couple of pics attached:

c1260add-09e9-4a32-b8ee-19bd26fe49bc.jpg

3e14e79e15c849fa585009627a3dce60.jpg

Cheers

Scott

the changeover date was in 1994. Yours would have been fine being a 92 i did'nt have a cat on my 92 16v. new exhaust looks well though mate. lovely and shiny lol

the changeover date was in 1994. Yours would have been fine being a 92 i did'nt have a cat on my 92 16v. new exhaust looks well though mate. lovely and shiny lol

I was told/read that it was at some point in August '92 and mine is registered at the beginning of that month. To be fair there doesn't seem to be much difference between having one and not, might have something to do with the old exhaust being s*#te though. Keeping it clean will be the challenge!

---------- Post added at 6:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:24 PM ----------

Nice and clean that bud lovely car

Thanks, a couple of months ago I was contemplating getting rid as problems kept appearing, but I have found the love again, well until the next thing goes wrong! The best thing about it now is it doesn't fill up with water every time it rains

Been a busy week with the car, rear calipers have been replaced as the old ones were knackered. Had a leak in the power steering which has now been sorted.

Spent Sunday removing the DDI dials and reverting back to almost standard, i have replaced the green filter with a white one, kept the orange needles and the dial surrounds

49E389B7-D5D5-449C-9F98-B8869E845C89.jpg

Never really took to the DDI dials think this is a good compromise. Does anyone know if there are heater control panels without the green filter in, i'm sure i have seen them somewhere before?

This week its back in the garage having the spare charger put in so i can get the other one serviced (both stage 4 so shouldn't be any difference)

Cheers

Scott

Had a bit of an issue with my spare charger, the boost it generates ripped the silencer box on the outlet off its fixings! So replaced the unit with a rsr outlet and must say it really improves the response of the engine and the charger sounds awesome

F2A0BCDF-C660-425A-B167-FC31451E08C0.jpg

MOT in 2 weeks, hopefully no surprises!

Cheers

Scott

Car sold a couple of weeks ago, Now driving a c class estate which is not quite the same experience! Thanks for all the help I've had through this forum, I will have some parts for sale shortly. I will be back with a VR6 at some point...

Cheers

Scott

Edited by ridlymaca