Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

Top mount question

Hmm nice, how would that have happend ?

The only thing id imagine doing it is the fact it was tilted alot... aha as i did one side then was going to do the other...

And its standard i asume, changing to coilies...

At the moment, i couldnt stick the old suspension back on as it was too big to fit back in even with the spring compressed a fair bit, didnt have a top mount to put on it as i have no car to go and get the tool to get it and have bodged it with a screwdriver and hammer which didnt go too well but it worked i supose i jsut gave up after about 4 hours of tapping. Lowerd it down wihtout a topmount i tried pulling my car up the drive, didnt work, wheel was touching the arch so i figured it may be the fact it was so low that it wouldnt drive, so i raised it by putting a mk1 golf top mount in there with the little bolts which go into the body of the mk1 hammerd off as it was the only thing i could do at the time to get it on the drive and it still wont drive, wheel slanted a little when i lowerd it down also not sure if this is due to it being slanted as its slammed on one side and not on the other.

I hate finding crappy little things volkswagen make you need specific tools for, especially on sundays.

Fail.

Is a cv joint hard to change and how do i establish if its that thats broken, if i do the top mounts tomorow and lower it down, im hoping it will drive if not, i may cry.

Thanks people and i know this is very retarded but i appologise, im very eager and inpatient...

please help, i need to know whether i need to spend 50 bob on a cv joint or not, as tbf i know nothing about cars, i just like going fast and vws... so in order to do this i need to know how to do it etc...

Just need to know if it can be fixed without buying a new one or if it may not even be this which is broken?

Thanks

you'll have just dislodged the splines on the end of the drive shafdt from the mating splines in the hub while you were jigging about with the strutrs. :)

When you turn the wheel the driveshaft doesn't turn right and the rubber boot just twists?

aha yea yea, the drive sshaft or the bar going into the rubber sleave doesnt move when i move the hub ...

Would that mean i just need to slot it back in?

And how do i do this?

aha, dont want to break anything else in the process...

thanks alot mate also.

take the rubber boot off,(You may as well get a new cv boot kit with some new grease) so you can see what your doing and then slot it back home into the grooves.

...might be easier to see what your doing with the caliper and break disc off.

cheers mate, its a little annoying haing no funds and cars that break all the time really... but i supose i get to own a mk1 and a corrado so . stuff it, but atm both of them dont work.

So its not fun but still id still rather push a dub than a pergoet etc (With exception to 205s)

And again cheers, anyway i can do this without a new cv joint?

Im asuming bodge rubber off buy oil bang it on re fill it(Dont know how thats done), try it see if it works?

Take the rubber boot off and check that the splines in on the end of the driveshaft and inside the hub are still good.Check for sighs of damage like metal shearings etc.

I suspect that you have just pulled the driveshaft from inside of the hub rather than anything breaking.If you buy a new CV boot kit it will come with grease and it will be a good idea to re-grease the joint b4 reassembly.

fairly easy tbh.