Sign in to follow this  
dbug

KR pulley mod to lose slipper ?

hi all,

done a search but not come up with an answer. :scratch:

is there a tried and tested mod that removes the slipper pulley off the water pump and replaces it with just the one belt to drive water pump, PAS pump, and alternator ( like the 2.0 16v has - or is that the mod ! :shrug: ) .

mine sounds like its on the way out ( the carbon bush has split ) and makes a lovely noise - a bit like a tractor engine running under the bonnet. :lol:

My '91 KR doesn't have the idler pulley, although the 89 and 90 did. It has one belt for the water pump and alternator and another short one for the PAS.

I'd guess you just need the pulleys from the later cars.

9a pulley fits straight on the noise reduction is simply glorious!!!!

You can put a solid water pump pulley Part.no. V027 121 031 on any 4 cyl engine, it works and I've had no problems in 2 years on my KR 8)

Edit: Thinking about it I have had some squeakings recently, and I've just realised i hadn't read the previous post correctly - got me going now. I think I stitched meself up....... :scratch: :gag:

9a pulley fits straight on the noise reduction is simply glorious!!!!

You can put a solid water pump pulley Part.no. V027 121 031 on any 4 cyl engine, it works and I've had no problems in 2 years on my KR 8)

cheers

so are you only running 1 belt for the water/pas/alt ? as just looked at the engine and the pas seems to be too far out of line to run the one belt.

Thanks! Can you remember how much it was?

can you double check the part no. please.

just ran it through vagcat and not known.

cheers

mitch

027121031 is the waterpump pulley for non PAS golf 16v's or 8v golfs and passats with aircon up to 1993 (when 8v engines went to serpentine pulleys)

I personally don't like the idea of running 2 belts on the waterpump that both drive, as pulley and belt wear will mean they drive at slightly different speeds which should cause some belt slippage. Far better to get the pulleys from a 2L 16v or late KR, that delete the second waterpump pulley altogether.

another option may be a short belt to drive the PAS pump directly and only but using the KR pulleys and PAS pump and weld up the idler pulley and delete the outer waterpump drive pulley.

That would leave a setup similar to the 9A but only having to weld the idler pulley and buy a new short PAS belt.

OR

get a compete set of ABF mk3 16v pulleys and alternator and go to a serpentine belt.

I asked for the 9a pulley as that was quoted somewhere else as the way forward, can't find the bloody invoice now to confirm it.

I know it's an ADU engine (below) but is this the sort of set-up you're talking about, although using the adjustability of the alternator rather than a seperate tensioner to tension the serp belt round the water pump and alternator? Would anyone have any part numbers handy for the serp pulleys, inc. alternator one? Ironically when I got a 90a alt I had to change over the pulleys cos it came with a serp belt one!!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfAHU_with_no_AC.jpg[/attachment:1ryrs2tw]

Another option with vee-belts? I don't know what the alignments are like at the moment?

crank to alt - crank to Water and PAS pump.jpg[/attachment:1ryrs2tw]

The later KRs go round the crank/water pump/alt and then the crank/PAS? Lots of ways to do it but that could be the easiest. As i said in my edit above i think I've cocked up!!

I'll have to have a look at my engine and see what's what, easier than trying to visualise it.....

...... and getting confused in my tiny brain :lol: :lol:

I'm surprised the last pic has belt clearance of the waterpump body and enough adjustment on the alternator, must be able to do it though, there's the proof!

Serpentine belts (in theory) run quieter, but despite the fact that most have auto tensionners now they seem to be less reliable than v belts (in my experience... 3 belts, 1 tensionner and 3 pulley bearings on my mk4 grrr!).

I'm thinking later single water-pump pulley and a shorter PAS belt is the easiest and cheapest option, could just do with some numbers in case the parts dept get confused now!! 8)

my pulley on way out aswell :( has anyone sorted out what is needed & part numbers to do this mod i would be really interested thanks

decided to try fixed pulley 027121031 cost £18 can anyone think if it will cause any damage ? must admit it is really nice to have my c not sounding like a rattling bag o bolts.

Seems like it might cause a bit of noise as the belts wear at different speeds, my steering belt chirps a bit which it didn't at first but it's so much quieter isn't it?! If I can get some other bits sorted I'll look at the single pulley /short PAS belt option

Job done. Removed idle pully from behind waterpump pulley used 888mm x 10mm toothed belt and it works fine. Also have adjustment to tighten as belt weakens. Clearance is around 15mm on waterpump housing. Used 3 washers to space the waterpump pully in line with crank and pas pump.

Good work! Any pics? Must do this...

looks like the one at the beginning of the thread - oh and the silence is golden :clap:

The one Collin posted? :confused4:

So what did you actually replace- where did you get the parts? Sorry for the questions- wanna get it right when I do it! ;)

The one Collin posted? :confused4:

So what did you actually replace- where did you get the parts? Sorry for the questions- wanna get it right when I do it! ;)

just removed the slipper pulley completely, changed alt belt for one that is 888mm long and put 3 washers behind the waterpump pulley to shim it out to line up with the pas/crank pullies.

longest part of the job was getting the right length belt and it involved me going back and forth to the motor factor 3 times !! :epicfail:

Righto so I need to bin my solid double pulley, obtain another outer waterpump pulley :roll: and space that out (what measurement here , it would be nice to use solid spacers if poss??), and get an 888 x 10mm veebelt between alternator and crank as in my second pic. Sweet

8) 8) 8)

Righto so I need to bin my solid double pulley, obtain another outer waterpump pulley :roll: and space that out (what measurement here , it would be nice to use solid spacers if poss??), and get an 888 x 10mm veebelt between alternator and crank as in my second pic. Sweet

8) 8) 8)

pulley's required are,

double crank pulley

single outer waterpump pulley

single pas pulley

single alternator pully

all the above are standard fit pully's that are originally on the car. the only one you lose is the noisy free running pully at the back of the waterpump one. i just used 3 washers behind the waterpump pulley to lift it out 1mm or so but in all fairness you could probably not bother as there is enough flex in the v belt.

when you fit the alternator belt it works the opposite way round to tighten it, ie you push it towards the engine to tighten and let it drop to the rad to slacken.

would suggest its worth getting the belt either side of 888 so if you have a different sized pully to mine you have the option to swap it without the trip back and forth to the motor fators. you can then take the 2 back you dont need.

That's brilliant. Thanks mate. Will defo do this soon- the noise is driving me mad! :lol: