Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

kenwood headunit help please

Ive recently had this headunit and bought some components speaker and fitted cross overs, which was all ok for a while. But one day the unit decided to go into 'protect' mode. From reaading around ive found out its something to do with protection from shorting but ive done so much wiring for this I got noway to find out which it might be. Today I decided to clean up some earth straps on the car and so I disconnected the battery, I also noticed the strap on the bonnet wasnt on :scratch: anyway I reconnected the battery and the straps, then thought I'd try my stereo, to my suprise no 'protect' mode. unfortunately it didnt last long and it went back to as it was.... was it coinsidence because I disconnected the battery? Is there anybody good with stereos?

cheers

kempster

Disconnecting the battery will probably have reset the headunit, so it's worked again until it's decided there's a problem (again). The fact that it's doing this means that either there's a short somewhere in the speaker wiring, or you're running it into too low an impedance for it to handle. Have you run new speaker cables or are you using the car's own loom? What speakers are you running?

cheers for the reply. Im using original wiring for the door speakers ( focal components) and tweeters with a crossover. Im not very clued up tbh, Im suprised I got it working at all :D but I found some wiring for the extra bits around the house so I imagine they arent that great

Ok...so you've replaced the stock tweeters in the top of the dash with the focal tweeters and the door speakers with the focal midbasses I presume? So the wiring should run: headunit to crossovers, crossover to tweeter and crossover to midbass.

yea thats how it got it setup. I think i'll check the wiring on my crossovers to see if its all secure