Sign in to follow this  
pagurus

The Never Ending G60 Corrado Refurbishment Project

Hi, welcome to this thread on refurbishing my (red) 1992 VW Corrado G60.

I've owned my now slightly tatty Corrado for 12 years and am loathe to give her up. When she's working, she drives like a dream and still puts a smile on my face.

I'll be running through all the problems I find in tearing replacement parts off a similar (blue) G60 I have bought for spares to get the red car back up and running.

The supercharger on my (red) 1992 VW Corrado G60 failed in March 2010. The small charger timer belt snapped as I did not get round to replacing it in time. The charger had done at least 180K to 230K with the original belt and without a charger service. Your probably wondering how the charger and belt lasted this long and why I didn't get it sorted before it failed? What can I say? :nuts: I'm wiser now and this is the first time I've done any serious under the hood work on this car or any car. I suspect regular 5 - 8K oil changes of Fully Synthetic Synta Gold engine lube has something to do with the charger lasting this long without a service. Shame the belt broke, cos the charger internals actually look fine, except for the new casing breather holes :cry: . I bought a blue G60 corrado on Ebay (for spares) and collected it from Kent in April. Drove it back to Manchester without a hitch. Its got a charger that I have now had serviced by G-Werks. It also has lots of parts my red G60 needs to improve it and fix all the bits that are broken and bent like the entire front end, doors, rear spoiler wiper jet, and rear spoiler etc etc...

Updates -

See current Condition of the car! There's something cool about this motor, even when she's stripped down.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf009-TornadoRed-92-G60-Cor-21 May 2010 0844-IMG_3139.JPG[/attachment:1oqffwi9]

See my sub-thread on information about the Valance ---

Sure hope I can work out how to put all this back together!

010-TornadoRed-92-G60-Cor-21 May 2010 1125-IMG_3152.JPG[/attachment:1oqffwi9]

Bought the Halfords (£99.00 - Pro 150) Toolkit and as Henny advised it is the biz!.

All the front end is off. Charger is back from G-Werks, looks absolutely mint :clap:.

Have sourced a replacement front 'valance / rad support' crossmember, and am now scratching my head about how to treat it's minor rust effectivelty.

About to tear up the Blue Corrado.

Do keep an eye on this thread as it will be changing and growing as the work progresses.

Sub threads - detailing other work tasks that are arising as this refurb project progresses ...

(001) G60 Supercharger Refurbishment Work (Details on the charger being sent to G-Works for a service)

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92075

(002) Radiator Temp Sensor Refurb

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92070

(003) Rad support - front cross member - valance - removal and replacement

Part 1 - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93205

Part 2 - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93206

(004) Oil Cooler Refurb

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93247

Thank you for any help offered.

Jerry.

would love to see how you get on. LIke you said, it would be invalueable to have the info as to the ins and outs details for a charger rebuild.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

That charger is fooked. If you want a rebuild kit get over to www.polog40.co.uk and PM PeteG40. He sells rebuild kits for the 40's, if you ask him nicely he might be able to supply you with the bits for the 60 lader. I'm not 100% but cant hurt to ask.

I change the small timing belt on my lader every year just as a service item. They cost around £12 and for the sake of that and an hour its not worth risking it imo. Its a bit late on that one though! There is a lader rebuild guide on matey-matey too as I recall.

Good luck.

That charger is fooked. If you want a rebuild kit get over to http://www.polog40.co.uk and PM PeteG40. He sells rebuild kits for the 40's, if you ask him nicely he might be able to supply you with the bits for the 60 lader. I'm not 100% but cant hurt to ask.

I change the small timing belt on my lader every year just as a service item. They cost around £12 and for the sake of that and an hour its not worth risking it imo. Its a bit late on that one though! There is a lader rebuild guide on matey-matey too as I recall.

Good luck.

Thanks Sam - have sent an email asking for help with this. Will post the reply here :-)

With regards to you hex bolt problems, your top bolt needs either a torx or spline tool hammering into it, have you got a set of either, don't ask me size though as I just use my selection and find one to suit. The bottom bolt is easy enough to get to if you use an old fashion allen key. I just hope that is not rounded as it will be a front panel off job then.

and as for basic good value tool kits, try the Halfords Pro 150 piece briefcase type kit... My mate has one and it's excellent for most things...

Thanks to Rustynuts & Henny for tooling advice.

Having removed it, the Charger was destroyed by failure of the small charger belt. You can see the snapped belt and the hole in the charger casing that resulted. Wow - a £1500 project for the sake of a belt costing less than £20 quid. :pale:

This is a warning to all Corrado G60 owners, even if you can't afford or be bothered to rebuild your charger, DO get your charger belt renewed. Especially if it's been more than 2 years since the last one. My belt and charger had done around 200K miles so to say I was pushing my luck is being kind, but the thought that I might have done this a few weeks ago, before the belt snapped is sobering. I am now trying to compile a list of other critical work that will hopefully save any more tears at bedtime.

With inexperience and minimal (crappy) tools, It took me hours to remove the charger.

As this is the first significant work I have ever done on the car, this has revealed a few things. People (butchers) who have worked on it in the past have left a trail of sorrow ... :cry:

~A Missing Bolt on the charger inlet casing.

~Overtightened screws on the charger inlet casing leading to seizure and breaking of one of the screw housings when I tried to undo it. (See a later pic). Unavoidable unless you have about a week for penetrant to soak in!

~An intercooler outlet hose clip put on the wrong way round forcing me to remove the radiator to get the charger out.

~A missing gasket on the main charger support bracket that mates to the engine block (the source of a mysterious oil leak!)

~A bottom radiator to block (hose clip) put in the wrong place and threatening to throttle or at least tear the hose!

This confirms what I already suspected, garages who are eager to take your money, can rush and botch jobs leaving a trail of damage and a nest of nasties (hidden problems). Just glad I am doing this job myself now.

A thank you to everyone contributing to this post to help the less experienced G60 lovers keep their GLaders Turning. :salute:

Posts and pics of replacement bolts, gaskets and other parts to follow ...

I have just taken mine off on friday had a nightmare with it rounded off hex bolts on the charger bracket that mounts to the block

anyway I now need a new charger case as I have broken mine

I left all my decent tools at home and used what i had which was stupid of me

g-werks have it now getting the smaller pulley and chip and a charger rebuild

cant wait I have never drove the car yet I bought it and took it apart as the charger had done 30k