Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Repairs before selling or not ?

Considering putting up my storm for sale in the very near future.

There are a few bodywork issues (some minor dings, rust spots and not so minor ding in the rear wing).

Would like to know peoples views on whether you think it would be wise to bring the bodywork up to scratch before selling or sell it as is and let people see the car "warts and all" so they know exactly what they are getting.

Am sitting here unable to make a decision which way to go.

Any tips welcome!

I think there's an easy way to decide it... if you think you can break even or make more money on the sale of the car with the paintwork sorted, then do it. If it's basically going to LOSE you money, then probably not worth it.

I understand where you're coming from as I hate trying to sell a car with obvious faults and feel compelled to explain them all, just so my conscience is clear... :)

I think the fact you're even considering this makes u an honest seller, and as Jim says, if you can at least break-even after repairing and selling then spot on, do it!

If not, Im sure ur in the right place to be selling a Storm with a few minor bumps! When I sold my mk3 I had a bad dent in the N/S/F wing, felt really bad selling it as it was but made sure I was completely honest about it so the buyer knew exactly what was wrong with it.

I looked a car from a forum member on here when i was looking for a corrado, and to be honest it looked in really good condition. The bloke stated in his advert that he had done a bit of a shoddy repair on his rear arch before i went to look at it! But after viewing i did think to my self if this guy is such an enthusist why was the job not done right in the first place. But i do now understand that a lot of people do plough a lot of money into there cars and do get fed up of doing it after a while. I would defo make clear that the car needs work on your advert, and make your pictures as clear as possible and if they are dissapointed thats not your problem! But you already know that.

Speaking from my own point of view, as an enthusiast with a car which does need some paintwork, I've concentrated all the money on the mechanical stuff and left the paintwork till I'm happy with everything else. I'm not yet happy with everything on the car so haven't put money into the paint.

I'd happily accept that as an 'excuse' for buying a car which needed some bodywork tidying but had lots of money spent on the mechanical bits...

Yep with Jim on this, would prefer a Solid "shed" than a nice shiny thing that will break down every 5 mins..

The "Honest" car wins every time!

It really depends on the overall condition of the car and what you intend asking for it.

If for example the rest of the car is fairly mint with low miles and full service history.

You want £5k for it then take off the £500 for body repairs and try to sell it that way,

but point out the faults in your ad.

If its going to be up for£2.5k then its difficult to justify spending £500 on bodywork

only to get half of your money back on them!

The way prices are just now you are going to take a big hit whatever you decide.

better off just keeping it and ride out the price crash!! :) :)

Not really worth sorting out for what your end up spending... anyway I would prefer to see it's a typical honest car rather than it hidding any thing nasty.

I'm in the same boat, i don't own a rado yet, but the car(95 audi a4) i intend a rado to replace needs some work, its my own fault i've not really kept on top of it, but i'd rather be working on a vw(I'm restoring a mk1 golf gti, thats my excuse anyway) I'm in 2 minds, repair it(c.v joint needs doing, brakes judder(???), airbag light constantly on) or sell as is and take a hit. i know that i'd be lucky to get the price i want for it, despite the car owing a small fortune(which makes me think break it, although i really don't want to) the car is presently used every day and has mot til summer.

I'm even(and i can't believe i'm typing this) considering selling my mk1 golf resto just so i can get a nice rado...

Tom