biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Absolutely.. I couldn’t agree with you more! I wonder if its possible to ‘clean’ a high powered engine as much as Mr Sweetlands !?? Certainly a very impressive engine bay none the less.

Simon's mk2 is pushing 280-290bhp, sounds high-powered enough to me!

I was thinking about engines with more than just a simple re-map like Simon's... :D

[quote="biggerbigben

I've been over everything and I too can't understand why. The fuel pump is running right apparently. I'll change the fuel over and see what happens..

B

Are you using a 16v fuel pump?

[quote="biggerbigben

I've been over everything and I too can't understand why. The fuel pump is running right apparently. I'll change the fuel over and see what happens..

B

Are you using a 16v fuel pump?

yes.. k-jet one.. more than capable seeing as it runs at like 8 bar and has a decent flow rate. Checked the pump and its fine.

I think I know why is struggling at the top end now.. about 3 different issues..

small update

.... 'project clean up' ... spy shot

Am I mad ??? I think I might be... :lol: :D :wink:

How do you plan mount the wiper mechanism?

small update

I've got 3 options.

1 is to make a small neat bracket for the rear mount on the normal RHD corrado wiper mech.

2 is to go mk2 golf single wiper which tucks up underneath the screen.

3 is to get a LHD VR6 mech and mod it to fit the RHD position (this also tucks up underneath the screen). I would have to reverse the direction of the motor to the opposite way.

At this time I might just stick with option 1 as time and money is against me but ideally option 3 would be my first choice.

small update

I've got 3 options.

1 is to make a small neat bracket for the rear mount on the normal RHD corrado wiper mech.

3 is to get a LHD VR6 mech and mod it to fit the RHD position (this also tucks up underneath the screen). I would have to reverse the direction of the motor to the opposite way.

At this time I might just stick with option 1 as time and money is against me but ideally option 3 would be my first choice.

I've looked at the LHD option, thats the way i'm going. Possibly with a single wiper so save too much hassle. You made loads of progress so far.

BTW, are you taking the dash out to weld up the holes in the bulkhead?

small update

I've got 3 options.

I've looked at the LHD option, thats the way i'm going. Possibly with a single wiper so save too much hassle. You made loads of progress so far.

BTW, are you taking the dash out to weld up the holes in the bulkhead?[/quote:5cc9f]

As I said before if money and time allowed then I would prob do something similar regarding the wipers.

Regarding progress - thanks but it looks better in the photo than it actually is. Lots of under coat and sanding is needed, all by hand as well cause the electric sander is too big! My aim is to have the drivers chassis leg done by this evening.. (just taking a quick break) .. If I get the scuttle area started that would be good also. I want this finished by the end of the month, so only 2 more weekends left!

I will be welding the holes up, or at least some of them.. so yes dash needs to come out or at least sound proofing, carpet and heater box needs to be removed, think the dash is far enough away not to worry about it. Or I might just buy some nice new grommets and be done with that, depends on time..

cheers B

wow you are worse than me!!!

Just get it on the roads man!!!

:lol:

I know, I'm a nightmare... thought as the engine had to come out I might as well tidy a few bits up.. didn't think I would go this mad! oh well.. :D

small update

I've got 3 options.

BTW, are you taking the dash out to weld up the holes in the bulkhead?

Regarding progress - thanks but it looks better in the photo than it actually is. Lots of under coat and sanding is needed, all by hand as well cause the electric sander is too big! My aim is to have the drivers chassis leg done by this evening.. (just taking a quick break) .. If I get the scuttle area started that would be good also. I want this finished by the end of the month, so only 2 more weekends left!

cheers B[/quote:4f95c]

That very fast, i'm leaving mine to Jason! He's sent me pics of a mk1 he's currently doing and its the smoothest bay you'll ever see. Way beyond the cars premier have produced so far. Even inside the front and rear wheel arches are smoothed!!!

That very fast, i'm leaving mine to Jason! He's sent me pics of a mk1 he's currently doing and its the smoothest bay you'll ever see. Way beyond the cars premier have produced so far. Even inside the front and rear wheel arches are smoothed!!!

Thats taking it to the max for sure! Mine is going to be nothing like that and I bet your sprayer will do a much much better job than me! I have to say I'm not taking the smoothing too far, I want it cleaned up but pratical at the same time.

Yep I need to crack on otherwise I won't make my April deadline!

Will keep you updated..

Ok, kinda had a half wasted weekend, I got to about 4 o'clock and decided I didn't like the smoothed drivers suspension turret so I hacked all the glass fibre and filler off and went further and basically took all the factory sealant off instead. :brickwall: :cuckoo:

I think I much prefer this look and its a bit quicker to do, which is a bonus. So want to have the drivers side and scuttle area prepped and ready for painting next weekend, which will leave me with just the passengers side to prep the following weekend. Phew.. :)

B

just get it on the road!! farting about with pointless stuff now, just drive it!

what are you going to do if you drive it and decide you don't like it???

I started smoothing the engine bay of my mk2 and got bored with it. it took me 3 years to decide I didn't want to go down that route.

just get it on the road!! farting about with pointless stuff now, just drive it!

what are you going to do if you drive it and decide you don't like it???

I started smoothing the engine bay of my mk2 and got bored with it. it took me 3 years to decide I didn't want to go down that route.

you have a point.. but I can't insure it until June so might as well do the things that need doing..huh?

why can't you insure it? age?

I deliberately never totally finished mine off before wanting to drive it. and now I have, I know what need to be changed.

If I'd totally hidden the wiring loom and done stuff like that it's have been a hell of a lot of work to change or fault find anything.

You can't possibly expect everything to work 100% perfect when you've literally changed almost every single component on the car.

why can't you insure it? age?

I deliberately never totally finished mine off before wanting to drive it. and now I have, I know what need to be changed.

If I'd totally hidden the wiring loom and done stuff like that it's have been a hell of a lot of work to change or fault find anything.

You can't possibly expect everything to work 100% perfect when you've literally changed almost every single component on the car.

Age is an issue but its not THE issue. Basically I don't want to insure 2 cars as I can't afford it to be blunt, so my insurance renewal date is 1st of June. Therefore I want to swap the policy over to the corrado and use it daily. So I have until then to sort everything and make it as realible as possible although I want it finished for April.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother hinding the engine loom tbh, but I may run the headlight loom down the chassis leg. I must admit I have had the car running and everything is working now bar a couple of things. The engine loom is fairly simple so not much to go wrong there, but I know what you mean, there will defo be some problems along the way for sure.

I hope to have the engine bay done and dusted in 2 weekends ready to rebuild the gearbox and fabricate the custom rear wishbones next month.

IMO; Keep it as near to standard as possible (engine bay metalwork that is) just smoothing out the weld marks and minor indents/imperfections, that way it'll look smoother than normal and tidy too but won't take forever. and why bother welding up the holes you are not using? not something you need to spend ages on hey?! Just get nice factory grommets in there and be done with it. MOVE ON TO THE BITS THAT IT NEEDS!

(Just a thought) :roll: :wink:

IMO; Keep it as near to standard as possible (engine bay metalwork that is) just smoothing out the weld marks and minor indents/imperfections, that way it'll look smoother than normal and tidy too but won't take forever. and why bother welding up the holes you are not using? not something you need to spend ages on hey?! Just get nice factory grommets in there and be done with it. MOVE ON TO THE BITS THAT IT NEEDS!

(Just a thought) :roll: :wink:

This route is now being taken! Thanks Nick!

Quick update.. been busy sanding my hands away while prepping the engine bay and the ali bits on the engine...

Will hopefully have the engine bay 70% complete tomorrow and then finish it off next weekend. Then on pay day I'll be able to buy some paint .. yepieee.. :D