biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Much respect to you! I couldn't even be bothered to clean the Corrado today while it was sunny. It was last cleaned in October.

hehehe

I'm getting a bit bored of it all now tbh.. once this bay is sprayed, the engine is put back together and the downpipe is sorted that will be that for a while.. just want to drive it now.. !!

Much respect to you! I couldn't even be bothered to clean the Corrado today while it was sunny. It was last cleaned in October.

hehehe

I'm getting a bit bored of it all now tbh.. once this bay is sprayed, the engine is put back together and the downpipe is sorted that will be that for a while.. just want to drive it now.. !!

i tend to work on the car in bursts when i feel like so don't really get bored. Think is because i actually like the building be more than to showing bit. But have to show it to justify the time, effort and pocket money spend on it. Are you hand sanding all the parts or using a buffing wheel?

i tend to work on the car in bursts when i feel like so don't really get bored. Think is because i actually like the building be more than to showing bit. But have to show it to justify the time, effort and pocket money spend on it. Are you hand sanding all the parts or using a buffing wheel?

I enjoy the engineering and creative side of the project.. Although I'm sure I'll enjoy driving it also! :D

I've wire brushed those ali engine parts. Not polishing them though, going to paint them. I've etched them all and given them about 4 coats of primer.. My hands are torn apart from sanding the bay down.. The electric sander can't get to most of it so its down to sanding by hand, think thats why its taking so damn long. I also need a welder at this point and I don't have one.

B

Do you still live in Norfolk Ben? My mate's got my 130amp MIG welder in Derbyshire at the moment but it's due to be returned a.s.a.p. If you're stuck for a welder you're welcome to borrow it for a while. Knowing my mate it'll be out of wire with an empty Argoshield bottle by the time it comes back!

you gonna paint the bay your self ben?

Yeeep.. I'm going to have a go, mainly to keep the cost down but also I fancy doing it myself.. If its any good I might re-do the front wings as the monkeys at the body shop didn't spray paint up into the underside of the arch, so where I've cut the innner lips off they've started to rust! grrrrr

Do you still live in Norfolk Ben? My mate's got my 130amp MIG welder in Derbyshire at the moment but it's due to be returned a.s.a.p. If you're stuck for a welder you're welcome to borrow it for a while. Knowing my mate it'll be out of wire with an empty Argoshield bottle by the time it comes back!

You know what chap that is mighty kind of you, I might take you up on that! :wink: It'll be just for a weekend if I do.. I have gas and I'm sure I can get some wire. Which side of Norwich do you live? I'm Kings Lynn side.

I work in London during the week then commute back as many weekends as I can to work on the car.

I live in North Walsham - so not far from you at all. Kings Lynn is 55 miles west of here if that helps. I used to work in Peterborough during the week and commute back at weekends. What a pain that was; I don't miss it at all.

I'll make a point of getting the welder back.

Yeeep.. I'm going to have a go, mainly to keep the cost down but also I fancy doing it myself.. If its any good I might re-do the front wings as the monkeys at the body shop didn't spray paint up into the underside of the arch, so where I've cut the innner lips off they've started to rust! grrrrr

thats why i dont like taking my cars to most bodyshops they hardly ever do exactly as you want unless your willing to pay mega bucks !! atleast if you do it yourself it will only cost you the paint etc and then theres all the prep work.... thinking about doing my bay next year maybe and will probably do that myself aswell i am starting to get a little handy with a spray gun now :)

I live in North Walsham - so not far from you at all. Kings Lynn is 55 miles west of here if that helps. I used to work in Peterborough during the week and commute back at weekends. What a pain that was; I don't miss it at all.

I'll make a point of getting the welder back.

I hate it.. I don't mind working in london as the social life is good but I hate driving back and forth like a yoyo at weekends.. getting really sick of it. But it has to be done. Might be re-locating to Bournemouth sometime in the near future, which would possibly mean a garage.. Anyway I want it to be a daily car as soon as its finished.

Re- welder.. thanks mate. I will owe you one, big time!

thats why i dont like taking my cars to most bodyshops they hardly ever do exactly as you want unless your willing to pay mega bucks !! atleast if you do it yourself it will only cost you the paint etc and then theres all the prep work.... thinking about doing my bay next year maybe and will probably do that myself aswell i am starting to get a little handy with a spray gun now :)

For sure.. its the gamble you take I suppose. I'm quite looking forward to doing it tbh. Will let you know how I get on.. Let us know if you decide to tackle your bay!

Small update..

Got bored of sanding the engine bay today so decided to make a start on the new 3" downpipe.. Got the day off work tomorrow so might have a go at finishing it.

Do you think its big enough? :lol:

nice one ben whens she ready

ummm.. how longs a piece of string?.. lol

on a serious note.. probably end of next month/May... Once the enginebay and dowpipe are done I just have the gearbox rebuild to do then I'm done!

Finished the downpipe today.. its ready to be welded up now.. only the engine bay and gearbox now then it will be on the road! So money pending, maybe April/May!

I'm really pleased with the outcome of the downpipe, so much better than the snake like thing from before hand.. and a much larger bore now! A true 3" outlet into a 2.5" exhaust!!

Ben

Bally, cheers dude.. NR next week, you going to be there?

CoxyLaad, Its the only way mate on a RHD synchro.. There is no way you can get a downpipe down the other side as there is no room... I've seen a few 4wd IHI cars that have similar downpipes.

vr6banana, It is very very close, but nothing can be done as there is no room at all.. The clutch master cyl is about 10-15mm away, so I plan to put a heat shield over it. The PAS lines under the car are very very close, I'm thinking of maybe fitting a NON power steering rack.. I'll see how I get on, I might be able to bend the PAS pipes further over out the way..

Bally, Yeah from June onwards hopefully!

16v, I know.. I know.. but I need to do it in order to achieve a good strong 340-360bhp.. Just need to get the engine bay finished off now as its starting to drag on. Would like to get it back to Jabba next month for the top end fueling to be sorted.

Not long now.