Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Amp power lead question

Hi all,

Im about to install my amp in the boot, but was hoping someone could get me a pic of where they have pushed their power cable in from the battery through the bulkhead please! Mine's a '94 VR6

TIA :D

think theres a grommet under the passenger side carpet mate

Ta mate, from underneath the car or through the engine bay?

think it goes through the bulkhead, pull the carpet back on passenger side (maybe remove the undertray first) and you should see the grommet

From in the engine bay mate. If you get the passenger side undertray out, and pull the carpet in the passenger footwell down and out of the way, you'll see the grommet. Comes out in a bit of an awkward place in the bay though! Had fun doing mine single handed, an extra pair of hands would have helped loads!

Good luck!

Edit: Beat me to it Jon!

From in the engine bay mate. If you get the passenger side undertray out, and pull the carpet in the passenger footwell down and out of the way, you'll see the grommet. Comes out in a bit of an awkward place in the bay though! Had fun doing mine single handed, an extra pair of hands would have helped loads!

Good luck!

Edit: Beat me to it Jon!

:p haha

Right did all my wiring today. One problem was that the grommet was already being used by an alarm wire and 2 others which Im unsure of. The hole in the grommet was very tight, and accessing it was very hard. I pushed my power cable through from the passenger footwell, and the grommet shot off into the engine bay along the wires already going through it.

After a very long time of swearing, and cutting my hands up, and getting cramp, I managed to successfully split the grommet trying to get the power cable through it. :bad-words:

My concern obviously is that there is now an open hole in the bulkhead - is this something I should really get sorted or will it not cause much leakage etc?

If anyone could supply a part no. or size of grommet that would be great. I however, in a fit of rage, threw the remainder of my grommet several miles away, which in reflection was a very silly, yet satisfying thing to do.

Many thanks :notworthy:

it will be fine , your ment to cut them big as you need

Unfortunately he's split his (!) and thrown it away!! :nuts:

You'll need to sort this as you'll get chaffing of all the wires on the bulkhead and water ingress too no doubt.

Could be a right bugger to sort now as you'll have to find the ends of the other wires, or you could (bodge it!) chop and resplice them inside the car, obviating the need to waterproof the joints. I have also put a dob (technical term :lol:) of sealant over the wires/grommet as with more than one wire going through the grommet you'll never get a perfect seal without it. You may as well just cut a cross in the new grommet bang the wires through and add sealant. 8)

it will be fine , your ment to cut them big as you need

Unfortunately he's split his (!) and thrown it away!! :nuts:

You'll need to sort this as you'll get chaffing of all the wires on the bulkhead and water ingress too no doubt.

Could be a right bugger to sort now as you'll have to find the ends of the other wires, or you could (bodge it!) chop and resplice them inside the car, obviating the need to waterproof the joints. I have also put a dob (technical term :lol:) of sealant over the wires/grommet as with more than one wire going through the grommet you'll never get a perfect seal without it. You may as well just cut a cross in the new grommet bang the wires through and add sealant. 8)

Yeh thought of bodging before I split my ring ( :lol: ) but also thought "Nah, I can do it!!" - but blatantly couldn't!

Any chance of finding out what size the grommet is?! Anyone?! Or I may have to start searching my neighbours gardens :lol: