Sign in to follow this  
umonkeyz

broken ignition barrel??

hi,

i wonder if anyone can shed some light on this problem.

basicly my ignition lock has frozen/locked up. it feels as though the steering lock is on.

i started the car fine this morning in the frost, but then turn the engine off and removed the key quickly to open the boot.

when i went to restart the car the key goes in the lock fine but it wont turn left or right at all. plus i have now actually locked the steering by too much jiggling!.

has this happed to anyone else? i tried a quick search but coudnt find anything similar.

im hoping i will be able to work it loose again, but i feel that maybe the steering lock mechanism has kicked in??

is it gonna be a new ignition barrel job? would it break so suddenly?

i cant move the car now so ill have to do it in the street, is it a very hard job to change the barrel? im not too good with the spanners, i can do say a 3 spanner on the haynes scale!

any ideas? i may have to use up an AA homestart if i cant fix it.

not meaning to be partonising but could it actually be just the steering lock? put the key in, pull the steering wheel in the direction it will move away from lock and try turning the key.

hi,

thanks ill try disengaging the lock again when i get home.

the steering lock wasnt engaged when i first (re)tried to start it up, i did try turning the wheel and turning the key, but it didnt work and eventually the steering lock did kick in.

yes! fixed it.

i think the steering lock had kicked in somehow, even though the steering wheel was still moving. gave it a good pull on the wheel and it unclicked phew.

thanks anyhoo. :)