Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

a pillars

yes this has been a concern, myn has started to rot out as ive had idiot screenfitters,and water gets in and around the frame, myns in the bodyshop monday, screen out, shotblasted treated new screen back in.dont know how much this is gonna cost? :cuckoo:

Took my screen out on Friday after tracing a leak back to it and discovered it was very rusty, full of holes! Same thing dodgy fitters replaced it in the past, wrecked the paint then left it to rott. Rang my local body shop but they can't give me a price till they see it. They gonna come round next week to take a look. I'll get some pics up later on today of how bad it is. I'm expecting a bill of about £1000 inc re-painting...

a grand that seems an awfull lot of money , i would consider having a look around and some quotes,a screen through insurance is 80 quid, and the body shop should liase with them to have screen out, body repair and new fitted, unless they need some serious welding and fabrication, i still dont think it should cost that, im prob looking at a 300-400 bill with a new screen.i hope, will update when it gets done on end of next week. :)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_0078.jpg[/attachment:sdfoictp]

IMG_0079.jpg[/attachment:sdfoictp]

Guess the wheels and coilies are gonna have to wait :(

Even more annoyed than I should be as the car had a full respray less than a year ago :brickwall:

im my god, that is severe, and i had a paint job 2yr ago, im hoping myn aint that bad.that looks quite bad, that all need completly cutting out, can you buy a pillar panels or anything from vw, that could be a better repair if you have to pay that money for a repair id want new metal, not repaired rust, so to speak, i bet you were heart broken, fingers crossed, i hate screen fitters that are so careless about the longevity of their repair! they should advise it to be sorted before jamming a screen on top of rust!

Absolutely gutted mate. Prob wouldn't have been that bad but the screen was never seeled properly so this was inevitible I suppose. When we took it out the rubber hadn't been fixed all the way along. Very poor job!

Yeah defo needs cutting out. New metal round whole thing then sprayed up good as new. Can't cut corners on a job like this it's gotta be done properly to stop it ever coming back. Not sure if vw sell a pillar panels I'll have to get in touch and get back to u on that 1.

Hope you guys don't have a shocking discovery like mine...

its not even like you can just a new panel on like a wing or door, its just hour of remanufacturing a pillar or seeing if you can still get hold of pillar and cutting and welding it in!

id be real intersted if you could still get pillars if they even exixt on etka parts and vw.

Bit off subject here mate I know but I've just been having a look around ur car and couldnt help but notice u have the 9" Borbet A's on the rear. did you have any issues getting them to go on i.e. did u have to make any adjustments? I really like them but I can't convince my dad to let me get some coz he thinks they'll be too many issues with getting them to fit. Hopefully you can enlighten us?

Cheers

the wheels just bolt on fine, my car is lowered so it can scrub when theres a hevy load, but the arch lip can be rolled to address this.

guess this is common problem then with bodged fitted windscreen !!! :mad2: no wonder mines shot .....at least guys at sprayshop can make up new pillars n sort it :)

ok

my corrado is in the bodyshop this week, windscreen out, window frame shot blast and corrosion inhibiter applied, prime and paint plus both a pillars painted 380 quid plus 80 for screen .460, painfull.!

luckily my frame wasnt corroded all the way through.

car back from the paint shop, fantastic job, screen frame shot blasted and treated, and new screen fitted by one of the best at national auto windscreens.

my advise to any one getting a screen done, get the frame inspected for corrsion, myn didnt go through, but im sure many are getting that way, total cost-£320 clean and paint frame and roof,trade price £75 windscreen through insurance.!! :D

nice one glad it came out ok, hope to have pics of mine next friday.the bloke they use wanted £240.00 notes for takin old one out n replacin with new!,havin it done through ins £60.00 :D

A pillars aren't listed on VAG-CAT as such... I think the closest part is part 4 (or possibly part 1) on the diagram below... :|