Sign in to follow this  
RufusTheDog

Tailgate Replacement, cabling issues - please help.

Hi there,

just got a replacement tailgate for my 1.8 16v (catch was not working properly and it had a huge dent). Mostly it looks fairly simple, just swapping the lights, motors, etc. from the old to the new. There is one bit I can't work out though: where does the cabling go when it goes from the top of the tailgate into the roof of the main body. Do they go up under the roof lining, or down the side pillars. I don't want to start ripping off bits until I know which bits to rip!

Any help would be appreciated.

I've only had a car a few months and I love it already. Just been browsing through the previous posts, found lots of little jobs that need doing, headlights, wipers etc. something to concentrate on this summer :-)

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Welcome :wave:

The looms from the tailgate go into the roof on either side and then straight down their sides C pillars. From memory I think both sides go into the boot area where they connect with other looms on either side of the boot.

Thanks for the swift reply. That is good news, those C-pillar covers should come off easily enough.

Now I just need to rope in some mugs, I mean friends, to help me swap them over...

Thanks again

jim

I did the same thing last weekend, its easier if you remove all the interior from the back; the rooflining, C pillar plastics, parcel shelf supports and the boot carpets (you don't need to remove the main bottom piece just the side pieces). Shaun is also right about it running down both sides.

Also it helps with at least 2 extra people when replacing the tailgate, especially when unbolting it!!

Jay