Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

8v X-flow

I notice a few of you on here are going on about cross flow conversions as if it's the next step for G60's.

Did you know it's already been done? My mate and I built one almost a year ago. I'll try and get you some pics.

Oh, we used aT3 hybrid turbo instead of the G-Lader though, and a Rallye botom end.

Yeah, american's have been doing it for ages too. They always seems to swap the G-Lader for a turbo aswell.

Was that one you and your mate built, featured in a mag, I think I remember seeing one somewhere and it was a right beast!!

I think everyone is a bit excited cos you don't see many x-flows over here?

It was on the cover of The Golf last year, black mk2 Golf. Shame they totally exaggerated the power claims and made him look like a liar........ :roll:

I was about to put a post up asking, but my computer decided to crash.

Was it pretty straight forward?

And

Where did you get the head from?

im interested mate. id like to do that myself.

whats involved, what would i need.

dont get me wrong i like the G lader but i dont want it to break n turbos are lots cheaper and more airflow.

id like a run-thru if you wouldn't mine please.

Hello,

i am interested,

would you be able to answer a few questions for me?

Apart from water hoses and manifolds does the head bolt straight to the G60 block?

Does it keep the same compression ratio?

does a G60 exhuast manifold fit, or is it completly different?

what do you think it would be like compared to a 16v supercharged/turbo?

thanks

The doens't bolt straight on. The oil return at the front of the head need modifying. and the bolt holes nee enlarging and the Rally head bolts(same as TDI) are bigger.

Exhaust fitting is identical to the other 8v heads.

Compression ratio remains the same AFAIK.

I won't flow as well as a 16v, but my mates revs up to 7000rpm no problem. No firm power figures as yet, it needs the fuelling sorted as at the moment it's limiting it to around 230BHP. Once we sort the fuelling it'll be getting a remap, we're hoping for 280BHP.

The doens't bolt straight on. The oil return at the front of the head need modifying. and the bolt holes nee enlarging and the Rally head bolts(same as TDI) are bigger.

Is this a hard job?

and 280bhp sounds well nice!

Not really, but you can pay me to do it for you!

I'll post up a few pics of the head mods and the inlet manifold.

i wanna do it myself. i like to mess.

a few pointers maybe a good help.

pm me with a cost for a head as im not sure where to get one from and i believe you can sort them.

2.0 8v New beeltes and early mk4 golfs have them. As do a lot of SEATs. You'll need the lower inlet manifold and fuel rail too.

Charger/ turbo oil feed tapping is already in the end of the head with a blanking screw in it (handy!). As for the water and boost hosing, you'll have to make up most of your own out of alloy tube and silicone bends.

A G60 head gasket fits fine once you mod the oil way at the front of the head.

so i can get the head over here.

How about the block. is it the ABA engine code.

im on a front mount already so half way there.

cheers

i want to go turbo. however much i like the instant G lader. i would sacrifice it for

higher top end

better low down grip

better reliability

what management system did you use.

Dunno, there is plenty of info on these set-up's over on VW Vortex though. I know of one crossflow G60 that was in a silver MK2 that made around 300BHP. It was a demonstrator car for a US-based tuning company. I think they went out of business though and are no longer around.

Its always been something that I have wanted to do though, as I can't justify spending another £2000 on a Eurospec or similar CNC-head for the relatively small amount of gains to be had. Also, don't particularly want to spend another £2000 on a 1.9 or 2.0L bottom end conversion either.

I had seen that head for sale over on edition38 too and was thinking about getting it....but like you too late. These and similar heads are ten a penny over in the US, would be quite easy to pick one up I reckon, although postage would be a bit exp.