John-M

Door membrane - how to affix to the door ?

3A0867201H - FOAM MEMBRANE

AKL43401925 - DOUBLE SIDED TAPE

They appear to have replaced the sealant with tape - I will see if the part number off the stuff I have still exists....

FOAM membrane ?? Surely foam isn't resistant to water getting through ??

I have acquired some polythene to make replacement membranes with, now just after the mastic stuff to stick it on with, One of my doors had had double-sided tape on from a previous body-repairshop - and it was a nightmare to clean off to get a good surface to start again with.[/quote:tnl53ql9]

Nope it's not just foam..

The mk 3 Goofs onwards use the same stuff, it has some sound absorbtion properties and is the dense kind of foam so it is waterproof. I think they switched over as they can mold the foam to fit around speakers etc from the factory rather than have to get the polythene sheet modified to suit, ie it's cheaper..

Right just checked the various books etc and the answer is you use both double sided tape (AKL 434 019 25 around £17 a roll) and a butyl adhesive when fitting the door membrane (Now foam 3A0 867 201H, 1100x600x2mm about £10 a sheet). The double sided tape is used along the full length of the top of the door with some strips above and behind the speaker area and just above where the top of the door storage tray sits. The butyl adhesive (AKL 450 005 05 around £20 a tube) goes in a pre-formed grove around the door.

Finally when changing the door membrane ensure all old adhesive and sealant is removed prior to changing the membrane or you could get water leaks.

This is all info from the general body repair manual for the Corrado cross checked with ETKA and is correct.

Yandards - Thank you very much for all that. :notworthy:

I'm sure others with the same problems will find it usefull, too.

Not the cheapest solution, but if it proves a long-term and 100% solution ... ... ...