Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

My stealth sub shelf :)

So the story goes i wanted some decent audio but i didnt want to lose to much boot space, i couldnt afford an audioscape boot pod nor the slim active subs so i though i'd make my own!

My first attempt was bad...very bad, i tried to make my own boot pod however the space is such an awkward shape it didnt fit properly, looks like sh1t and wasnt sealed properly, it also had a habit of moving in the boot. So i though; 'instead of a stealth shelf with 6x9 why not mount the sub in there...'

So i did:

Parts needed to buy:

Sub: 10" 250w/750w QX Aero 10....In Car Emporium http://www.incar-emporium.com/ £24.49 (inc p&p) (the sub also lights up but as its hidden i dont need this feature)

Amp: 300w Sub Zero 4 Channel......Ebay £10.20 (inc p&p which was £7, bargain £3.20 amp!)

Acoustic Carpet: 2m x 1m............Ebay £11.48 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Sub-Woofer-Speaker-Box-Carpet-Bass-Acoustic-Blk-UK_W0QQitemZ110507560705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item19bac38f01

Various brackets etc about £10

Parts already owned:

MDF

Cable

Headunit (thanks Novastrike!)

Amp wiring cable (already in the car when i bought it)

Not bad for around £55!

The sub manufacturers recommended a sealed enclosure of 0.8 cu ft so i used an online calculator which helped me to work out the desired dimensions to give me the correct space. I wasnted it to sit as shallow as possible and came out with the measurements W 13.5" L 12" H 10" (the sub sits about 7" deep) and would be mounted centrally directly underneath the shelf. The amp was small enough to hide behind the n/s rear doorcard which was good as it saved boot space and doesnt take much to access.

I've not got any build images only final images but as you can see its complete and fits nicely in the boot. The carpet is nearly an identical match to the OEM parcel shelf which looks really good, it doesnt take up too much boot space and is easily removable and the OEM fitted if need be. I wanted to make it so that i could still use the OEM one so it uses a metal pole to allow it to hinge, i just need some lifter pull things so that it rises with the bootlid.

Audiowise it is loud but not too loud which is nice, i think probably just right (maybe a little bit more tweaking), bass set at +2 (on h/u), gain about half way and LOUD setting on (on h/u) is enough to give me what i need. The only issue i have is that when i change tracks on the CD you can hear the sub buzz...can anyone give me advice on this....

From the last picture you can see that the centre is raised slightly, this is to stop the carpet from rubbing the sub and also as i used hollow metal bars it helps to give it rigidity and strength

So let me know what you think

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf100317_173709.jpg[/attachment:12bb7lxi]

Im going to attach the carpet to the main sub box but havent gotten around to it yet

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf100317_175859.jpg[/attachment:12bb7lxi]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf100317_175920.jpg[/attachment:12bb7lxi]

100317_180104.jpg[/attachment:12bb7lxi]

Nice job :)

But lol, I thought you said you didn't want to compromise boot space?

Looking at picture 3, still seems pretty big :p

Then again Corrados don't really have massive boots anyway. I had to ditch my 15" sub for a 12" to get it to fit, which I am upset about =[ Though when I crashed my golf a wheel brace went through it anyway so, no loss :p

But boot space isn't important anyway ;D As long as it sounds good, and with a sub not enclosed in the boot like that, I reckon it will be :)

My sub setup:

DSCF0391.jpg

That looks really neat and still leaves most of the boot ! 8)

Is it a 12 inch sub ?

Did you make it yourself ?

Nice job :)

But lol, I thought you said you didn't want to compromise boot space?

Looking at picture 3, still seems pretty big :p

Then again Corrados don't really have massive boots anyway. I had to ditch my 15" sub for a 12" to get it to fit, which I am upset about =[ Though when I crashed my golf a wheel brace went through it anyway so, no loss :p

But boot space isn't important anyway ;D As long as it sounds good, and with a sub not enclosed in the boot like that, I reckon it will be :)

Yes i agree its a reasonable size yes but not as big as most commercially bought sub enclosures, as it doesnt take up floor space i can still lay things down, im thinking about changing it again slightly, as ive got a few inchs of depth to play with i can make it wider and still maintain the 0.8 cu ft that is recommended, ideally something like Jam.e.s would have been better but cash flow isnt brilliant at the moment...plus i dont think that looks the right size for the sub, which, being a 12" it seems would need more like 1 cu ft to give the optimal sound

Having said that im getting alternator whine so need to try and fix this....

Having said that im getting alternator whine so need to try and fix this....

Ah that is such a pain in the arse!

As usual though, just make sure your earths are good and that the RCAs don't run or cross over anywhere near your power cable or remote turn on wire.

Best of luck :D

As usual though, just make sure your earths are good and that the RCAs don't run or cross over anywhere near your power cable or remote turn on wire.

Yeah will do that at the weekend its really annoying so i've had to disconnect it for the moment, means having to pull the carpet up :(

Im also thinking about getting a 1 Farad Cap, supposed to help reduce distortion...do you think it would be worth it for the *possible* bass increase and reduced battery drain?

You may find that simply disconnecting and then reconnecting all you RCA plugs will sort the whine. Mine was suffering and whilst hunting the cause down we systematically did just that and it simply disappeared!! Result!

It must have been a dirty connection 8)

Yeah will do that at the weekend its really annoying so i've had to disconnect it for the moment, means having to pull the carpet up :(

Im also thinking about getting a 1 Farad Cap, supposed to help reduce distortion...do you think it would be worth it for the *possible* bass increase and reduced battery drain?

I personally never noticed a difference when I had my 3000w. I've not tried for noise reduction though. But the battery drain would be the same regardless, just spread out a bit surely :)

Though, for the true audiophile, it's probably worthwhile.

I quite liked my headlights flickering in time to the music :D

Haha, i dont think that's something that im keen on tbh, especially since ive got them working as they should now :lol:

Haha, i dont think that's something that im keen on tbh, especially since ive got them working as they should now :lol:

lol this is only in my golf.

In the rado, i reckon that'd be a matter of life and death :D