Sign in to follow this  
dollimore

G60 Blue Smoke...Supercharger?

Hi Guys,

I have got blue smoke coming out of my exhaust, it is especially obvious when under full throttle. I also get a puff of smoke on start up every morning although this appears to be a bit whiter.

I have had a lot of work done recently on my block including valve stem seals and am pretty confident that the engine itself is in a good condition. At the same time as the engine work I also had a rebuilt Jabba stage 4 charger put on as the charger on my car had no history of a rebuild in 65 000 miles. Although I think the charger I have put on may have been lying around for a while before I got hold of it and I think the seals may have dried out hence the burning oil.

Was just wondering if this sounds reasonable, and if there is anything else it could be? If it is the charger then I will arrange for a rebuild at Gwerks in the near future.

Cheers

Jamie

could be... take the boost pipe off where it connects to the charger and see if it's got more than a very light coating of oil in it... if it has then it's likely the charger oil seals are on their way out... If not, then I very much doubt it's the charger, and it's more likely to be rings or valve seals/guides...

i always thought taking the pipe off between charger and airbox was the best way to tell.

looking for oil as stated previously. this is normally the first seal to go on the charger.

I've always heard this about lots of oil being a bad thing. My charger has always filled my pipes with oil. It was recently serviced at Jabba when I got it, then serviced at G-werks and then later inspected at DG, and it still puts out a hell of a lot of oil. Can't see it being due to wrecked seals after full re-builds though? Maybe some chargers just do it?

Thanks for the replies.

Will have a look at the boost pipe tomorrow when its light.

I've always heard this about lots of oil being a bad thing. My charger has always filled my pipes with oil. It was recently serviced at Jabba when I got it, then serviced at G-werks and then later inspected at DG, and it still puts out a hell of a lot of oil. Can't see it being due to wrecked seals after full re-builds though? Maybe some chargers just do it?

I have got a feeling mine needs a re-build...I just get a smoke screen behind my car when I put my foot down...bit embarrassing but quite funny when overtaking cyclists :lol:

What grade oil are you using..??

Using Synta Silver 10w-40, I thought that could be the problem to start with as I was unsure what the mechanic who done the work used. I changed it straight away to be on the safe side. Has made no difference though

Yeah, I'd get the charger checked asap... I've heard of excess oil pressure blowing charger seals like this but your's might just be a dry seal as you said earlier...

my charger had been rebuilt, used for 2000 miles then sat for probably up to 2 years. Initially i had the same problem but having it run it for a bit the seals seem to have run back in. Dont panic just yet, give it a good 500 very easy miles and see if it improves keeping an eye on your oil levels.

i always thought taking the pipe off between charger and airbox was the best way to tell.

Check the pipe between the airbox and the charger won't show you anything... That's where air's being pulled INTO the charger from the airbox before it can go near any oil! You need to check the pipework where the air going through has already been THROUGH the charger to pick up any oil being leaked!