Sign in to follow this  
Slimg60

Running issues part 2

My car has recently developed an intermittant running problem.

Basically, I can be driving along fine one second and the next thing he car goes very hesitant, popping and back firing. this comes and goes at random.

I've changed the fuel filter and lambda probe, and have cleaned the plugs up.

I'm running a 16v fuel pump and have noticed that it's fairly noisey. Could this be on it's way out, and cause the random problem, or would it just fail completely?

Boost leaks have been mentioned but I would have though this would be permanant problem?

any help would be great :shrug:

cheers

Slim

does it happen when you get lower on fuel. I had problems similar but only when i had less than third a tank. Mine was a fuel pump seal causing issues. I dont know where fuel pump is on 16v though but mine is in fuel tank. Only a suggestion though. Mark

i had same prob years ago with my mk2 rs2000.it was the ignition switch,try moveing the key slightly when it starts doing it.

does it happen when you get lower on fuel. I had problems similar but only when i had less than third a tank. Mine was a fuel pump seal causing issues. I dont know where fuel pump is on 16v though but mine is in fuel tank. Only a suggestion though. Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll have to have a look at that, because I still have my old G60 in tank pump in use as the lifter pump.

It seems to do it at all fuel levels though, but worth checking as I'm getting desperate!

i had same prob years ago with my mk2 rs2000.it was the ignition switch,try moveing the key slightly when it starts doing it.

I hadn't thought of that, I'll try that too. Cheers mate.

That's just reminded me also try the ecu relay, er no scrap that possibly as it's standalone. The relays under the passenger tray are all replaceable from common motor spare type places who do electronics as it's not haltech specific. Are all the connections everywhere secure etc

Looks like the G40 plugs are up to it, went to a RR day today at Corten Miller and they've diagnosed the problem as ignition related instead of fuelling.

They've ordered me a set of NGK platinum.

The map isnt quiet right so at boost it's leaning slightly and knackering the plugs.

Be having a trip back at some point to have a proper RR done :?

At least you have an answer. Who put the G40 plugs in?

The map may be slightly wrong due to your exhaust and intercooler.

james must have fitted the G40 plugs, I know they were changed when the engine.

I thought it had been mapped to when when it was fitted.

Check out my build thread for the bhp figure and an action shot :norty:

Edit: I've just checked the part number and they are standard G60 plugs (WR6DPO). Either way, they are fooked :lol:

Not sure what you mean.

It was mapped for my car spec which the Lc-1 showed nonissues on boost and no leaning out. I don't know if James changed anything to possibly compensate for your spec.

I've just checked the number on the plugs that are fitted, they are G60 one, that James has fitted when the engine was installed.

I know James took the car to Jabba for mapping, so this must have been for my exhaust and intercooler set up.

The afr probe at the RR showed that the car was lean slightly, and I'm going to fit a gauge into my car to monitor this. But I dont think it has been mapped for the full boost range.

It must have been. Otherwise he would have turned the boost down. It help 12 on the afr gauge for me by the way on full boost and a nice steady 14 on cruise.

Now my running issue is permanent :mad2:

It is definately ignition realated, so thought I would just change everything (leads, coil pack and crank trigger wheel sensor)

When I removed the crank sensor, it was covered in crud, so the lense at the front was barely visible.

Would this have caused my running problem? or do they either work or not work?

No idea but it can't help matters that's for sure. You tried driving it yet once it's cleaned.