Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Can VR driveshafts be removed without touching suspension?

I need to change the outer CV, & check the Inner CV on the nearside, can it be done without splitting the balljoint/undoing the trackrod end for clearance?

I read somewhere on here that it can be done, but don't want to start it then find its impossible!

I did manage it on a mk2 polo years ago, turning the steering onto full lock just gives enough room to get the shaft out of the hub, but it's a completely different setup to the VR.

I don't want to affect the wheel alignment in any way, had it 4 wheel aligned not so long ago.

Cheers

Had a go this weekend, the balljoint split easily enough and with the right tool for the Inner CV bolts (M8 Spline bit) I got the driveshaft off.

thing is now i've found that the wheel bearing is rough as a bears arse (strange it never made any noise when driving) so it seems pointless to put it all back together again.

So the dilemma is, Do I remove the hub carrier myself and take it to a garage for new wheel bearing, then refit and then take car to garage for alignment?

Or, do I go the whole hog and replace everything suspension/bearing/steering wise on both sides, then take for alignment, in the hope that neither will need doing for years to come?

depends how deep you pockets are, how soon you need the car and if you feel it all needs doing or not.

you can buy a new front hub with the bearing already in it. saves a lot of hasstle with a press. just bolt back up and away you go.

Cheers, I decided to go for pulling it all off the car and doing everything in one go - expensive but should save me money in the long run I hope.

Where can you get new hub carriers with the bearing already fitted? shame I've ordered a new bearing assembly from VW, might be an option for the other side though, spent ages drilling out rusty bolts where the paper thin rust 'splash shield' used to be :|

Progress has been stopped by some weird Strut bolts/nuts - Bottom one is 18mm which is fair enough (need new socket) but top one has a 19mm nut but 18.5mm bolt head?? not caused by rust either! it's gonna round off with a 19mm socket so guess I'll have to file it down to 18mm!

mine came off with an 18 and a 19. i use 6 sided rather than the multi ones though.

i got one for the polo from vw with the bearing already installed. saved alot of hasstle for me as i dont own a press.