Sign in to follow this  
rossgalway

sunroof leaking

Doubt it's the seal on its own but it may be contributing overall.

The sunroof has a gutter underneath, with four overflow pipes. One of these may have become blocked or detached so would be worth checking.

Think the seals are about £45 from VW

Yeah the seal isn't really a seal as such, more of a surround. The 4 drain holes need cleaning out by the sound of it, try using a cycle brake cable...

Bentley manual suggests using speedo cables inserted in the outlet of the drain hose and pushing up towards the sun roof gutter!!!

I reckon t'other way rounds the way to go. Wouldn't fancy a tube full of cack to clean out of the sunroof surround, plus shoving sh*t uphill has always revolted me... :lol:

i have this problem to.

apparently one of the drain hole tubes is broken off.

anyone got any idea how to fix this????

thanks

Sam

the tubes coming off the mechanism are plastic... if you can get the whole sunroof unit out, then it'd be reasonably easy to plastic weld back on and then gunk over the outside with Silicone sealant to reseal it...

the tubes coming off the mechanism are plastic... if you can get the whole sunroof unit out, then it'd be reasonably easy to plastic weld back on and then gunk over the outside with Silicone sealant to reseal it...

Are they one piece from the sunroof to the wheel arch Henny? If not where (how far down the pillar do they join? And onto what?)

Wondering if this might be the cause of my wet footwell and NOT the passenger membrane (swapping that this weekend).

Whats a good way of testing these? (i'm assuming pour water down the top and see how much comes out the bottom?) Are the drains in the arches accessible?

Sorry for the hijack!! :D

The dampness is at the rear of the sunroof. Looks like i'll have to take sunroof out to inspect the plastic channels. Only problem is I don't know where to start on how to take it out!!

Any tips?

Cheers for the replys

I feeded a brake cable down the front two drain pipes ok. Can't see the two at the rear - they must be way back towards the rear of the roof? Anyway I think the problem is the rubber tube shaped seal at the rear of the sunroof (you can see it when tilted).It doesn't seem to run the full width of the sunroof and is glued on.

Does anyone know were I could get one?

Cheers

Bentley manual suggests using speedo cables inserted in the outlet of the drain hose and pushing up towards the sun roof gutter!!!

I reckon t'other way rounds the way to go. Wouldn't fancy a tube full of cack to clean out of the sunroof surround, plus shoving sh*t uphill has always revolted me... :lol:

If it's gone in the top it'll come back out the top - if you shove it further down it may jam causing untold woe! :wink:

New sunroof seals available from the Stealers at around £47 - they're a tight push-on fit , and I Mean F@*%ing TIGHT!!

:lol: You'll also have to trim them to length. 8) They aren't a water seal.

Can anyone point me in the the direction of the *ahem* rear exit holes? i couldn't see the drain pipes at the back of the sunroof so i thought i could try and unblock em from the the other end. something tells me it's not a great idea to be jabbing an old bass guitar string into random holes under the car :nuts:

Can anyone point me in the the direction of the *ahem* rear exit holes? i couldn't see the drain pipes at the back of the sunroof so i thought i could try and unblock em from the the other end. something tells me it's not a great idea to be jabbing an old bass guitar string into random holes under the car :nuts:

Remove the back bumper and you'll notice the tubes either side. They drain out in the recess created by the bumper.

thanks skyway, how easy is it to get the bumper off? I'm fine with interior trim and bits and pieces in the engine bay but never had the exterior trim off.

thanks skyway, how easy is it to get the bumper off? I'm fine with interior trim and bits and pieces in the engine bay but never had the exterior trim off.

Piece of cake bud, two 17mm bolts underneath either side then just slide it out. You should then see at least 4-5 inches of tubing on both sides.

Also, if you just want to clear the sunroof drain tubes with an old brake bike cable or bonnet cable (in sit u), as already stated, remember that the back tubes are sometimes tricky as they have been entwined (not in a straight line) through the bodywork and can require a hefty pull even when removing.

Can never seem to work out how lots of C owners get loose rear drain tubes off the sunroof, these tubes are fitted snug tight, can only presume that somebody prior to them has removed the tubes before and not refitted them correctly???? or they've had dumb a***s in the rear seats punching the head lining??

Hope that helps a little.... :salute: