Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

g60 idler pulley

ok so i have decided to change the water pump on my g60 (much more effort than i originally thought, why oh why didnt i do it when i had the charger out?!) and noticed the bearings in the idler pulley (not the one on tensioner) just below the charger are screwed, so thought id nip down to VW and order one, £41 PLUS VAT for a idler pulley!!!

does anyone know if the 16v one is the same or compatible as these are readily available and the g60 one is not even listed on the vw computers!!

g60 part no

078 903 341 j

16v part no

028 145 278

thanks

G60 is still available from VAG, it's on the parts catalogue just before the engine mounting page.

16v is no good to you, it's the wrong item completely.

They are nothing like that much - I bought a pair late last year for the same price!

074145278E - £21.25 from TPS (RRP is £24.15)

I would replace both wheels at once and the tensioner itself unless in very good condition (£61)

You also need to buy a new bolt for the tensioner bracket as it's one use only along with seal and cover cap (£3)

From TPS? whats TPS? i wouldnt mind spending the £20- on it but thought £41 plus vat was rediculous. thanks for the info.

i managed to get it all off, waterpump changed, gave the engine a little freshen up and everything but the chargers back on. thought id change the small charger belt while its off. what a big job just for the water pump!!