Sign in to follow this  
plummer

Corrado VR6 not Starting

Went to start my C this morning and no go. Turned the key and can hear a lot of clicking but no kick from the engine. Battery appears good, all lights on the dash light up as normal. How do i tell if the started motor is the issue?. Is it easy to replace if it is?(part number if anyone has?). Also I cannot move the car by pushing, think maybe the back brakes or hand brake are stuck, any advice?. Thanks in advance, was hoping to use for a nice drive over the long weekend:(. Had the car started last Sunday before and after its wash.

Cheers,

Paul.

Check all your earths and in particular the main earth that goes from the batt negative to the engine/gearbox bolt that is located underneath the coolant thermo housing.

I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks back and even after copper greasing the mentioned bolts above before installing my new engine it wouldnt crank merely click the starter, i had to physically cleaned the contact points before it would crank.

ywes with all the rain over the past week it could be that the rears have seized. Take the wheels off and give the calipers a whack with a mallet. Short terms fix, you will really need to strip and lube them.

Re the starting, can you hear the starter solenoid click - it will be a deper click from the engine bay? Put teh battery on charge just to rule it out being flat. Also, if you have a drain, eg the boot light, if it was not driven for a week its likely the battery is flat.

Rule that out and then look at the starter itself. Could be a stuck starter solenoid. If this is stuck, get a stout piece of wood and tap it firmly a few times and try again.

Start with those and let us know how you get on.

Appears the starter was the issue. Got it going with a little push and since have being able to start the C without any issue, maybe just need to use it a bit more. Thanks all for the advice.

OK glad you got it started. If you have the time, i would remove the starter, remove the solenoid, dismantle it and lube up the piston inside. It's quite straightforward - Remove the solenoid single wire connector, remove the two nuts (13mm iic) supplying power to the starter, remove the two mounting bolts on the starter - one goes through the front engine mount so support the engine when you do this. Pull the starter out.

Turn it so you see the spindle - above it you'll see three countersunk screws. remove these, holding the back of the solenoid to prevent it falling. You'll see a large piston taking up most of the volume of teh starter - it works on a pivot principle so when you press it, it appears to move in teh other direction. Take this out, clean it up making sure its really smooth, use some good lube oil and reassemble. when you have put it all back, just pulse the solenoid to check teh piston moves freely. If your starter is old, it could be that the solenoid itself is failing and losing its magnetism, in whioch case you'll need to replace it.