Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

Wheels explained?

Hi just after a bit of help please.Can someone explain what size wheels i can get away with that will fit without any modifications.I have been looking at the very good link someone gave me from this forum in another post .....http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html but im not sure of what the offset and bore measurements mean?and can i get away with something that has slighly different offset and bore or do they have to be exactly the same as my standard wheels?Sorry im a bit confused :? For example i know someone who is selling some wheels that were on a clio and they are 15 inch and according to the chart they are the same pcd i.e 4x100 but the offset and bore are slightly different on the chart.Does this make a difference and could someone explain please.Thank you guys in advance...and happy easter to you all!!

What is the offset and bore of those wheels?

If the offset is say ET40 you can fit 5mm - 10mm spacers to bring down to around ET33 which is what VW use, ET25 is the lowest you can really get away with.

VW bore is 57.1mm - so if the clio bore is higher then you will need spigott rings to correct this or you get get wheel vibration.

You will most likely need new wheel bolts too - becuase of length but also the bolt seat - VW use a radial seat.

Thanks for the replies guys,however...still confused :D

Still dont understand what is meant by the bore???

And when you say the et?is that the offset?

Oh my i know nothing about wheels ha ha

im running renault clio steelies,

front 6 1/2 x 15

rear 7 x 15,

4x100 pcd

centrebore is 60.1 on the renault so spigot rings used,

60.1 to 57.1,

offset on my wheels are et35 which is clio standard,

i have 3 mk1 16v clios,

SDC10809.jpg

any pics of the wheels your thinking of?

Still dont understand what is meant by the bore??? -

"The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. Centerbores on wheels are typically a standard size by brand or size (measured in inches or mm). Hub sizes vary by vehicle brand and style.

When this hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration, it is said that the wheel is “hub centric”.

Some wheels require centering rings [spiot rings] that lock into place in the back of the wheel in order to become hub centric and reduce the risk of vibration while driving. This is an acceptable alternative"

Clios have a bore of 60.1, The Corrado is 57.1 therefore you can get a spigot ring to fit these wheels. If the wheel had a lower centre bore then the corrado you would have to have the bores machined out to fit [not worth bothering]

And when you say the et?is that the offset? -

Indeed. Offset is measured in ET. The lower the ET the further the wheels stick out into the wheel arch.

You should match the ET as close as possible for standard fitment. If the wheels you are looking at are a ET42 a 10mm Spacer would be appropriate.

You can play with this site too, http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp which will give you info about different wheel fitments, although it might be better understood once you have the basics!

Yeah thanks bernie.So it seems the wheels from a clio would fit.I have a pic below of the ones for sale.They are quite cheap so may be a bargainJust wasnt sure if they would fit or not.Thanks for the help

And thanks baron.All the info is very much appreciated.Its gonna cost me a couple of hundred quid to get my estorils refurbed as they have seen better days,so i have been looking at buying some second wheels instead to replace them.Theres loads of 5 stud ones around but mine are 4 stud. :?

personally id just get the estorils off to a powdercoaters for sandblasting and powdercoat - they'll do an alright job and charge about £100..

£100...? Ive had a quote for just over £200 to get them done.I got some done a few years ago and that was well over £100.Do you know somewhere that does them that cheap?I would be grateful for the info as cash aint exactly at a premium at the mo.

What finish do you guys think would look nice if i get my estorils refurbed?I had a kind of sparkle done on them before.I have seen some that had been painted white and they looked ok aswell.Or maybe a polished finish?Or black.What do you guys think?Any input appreciated.

I had my estorils "diamond" cut and then laquered,£60 each!!

A lot of money, but look fantastic, that was spit and polish in Kent

£100...? Ive had a quote for just over £200 to get them done.I got some done a few years ago and that was well over £100.Do you know somewhere that does them that cheap?I would be grateful for the info as cash aint exactly at a premium at the mo.

i had a set done just at a local powdercoaters.. if you send them to a proper wheel refurbishers then £200 is a fairly good price!

phone around commercial powdercoaters ner you, they'll have done wheels before.

Hi dragon,that sounds nice.Have you got any photos of them when they were done?

Also has anyone used romax in stockton before?Im thinking of taking them there.Ive used SEM in sunderland before but someone told me about romax.

Hey thanks for the nod baron.They look ok ,shame its so far away for me but if i can get a price for a courier then maybe i could buy them.Do you know if my tyres 195x50x15 fit these wheels?

OOO on a closer look at the pics zoomed in,it looks like there is some pretty nasty looking marking/kerbing around the edges of some of the wheels :(