Sign in to follow this  
jimbobbalooba

Engine Mounting Bolts - Please help

Sorry, really boring question but I'm taking out the engine in a week or so, and in preparation have bought a Sealy 450kg Engine stand. These come with everything you need other than the bolts to attach the engine to it. :shrug:

What bolts should I be using to attach the engine, I've been told 19mm but is that M12? How long do they need to be and do they need to be high tensile??

Again sorry for the boring question but I'm borrowing the lift from a mate's dad and only have it for a weekend and don't want to have to rush around trying to find the right bolts when the engine is hanging in the air!!

Thanks a million

Jim

PS I did search on the forum and the question has been asked but the chap never got a response. :cry:

They are standard M12s. You need three M12x80 and one M12x100 with a plain nut for the bottom rear hole as thats not threaded like the others.

You don't need high-tensile, as its not under a great deal of stress just sitting on a stand. I have a set of bolts from an Audi A6 1.8T that I use which just happen to be the exact right size, but M12 threaded bar cut to length with a few plain nuts will work equally well. Thats what I used before the Audi ones.

Edit - this is for a 4-cylinder. I expect the VR6 will be similar, but not 100% sorry

:cat:

They are standard M12s. You need three M12x80 and one M12x100 with a plain nut for the bottom rear hole as thats not threaded like the others.

You don't need high-tensile, as its not under a great deal of stress just sitting on a stand. I have a set of bolts from an Audi A6 1.8T that I use which just happen to be the exact right size, but M12 threaded bar cut to length with a few plain nuts will work equally well. Thats what I used before the Audi ones.

Edit - this is for a 4-cylinder. I expect the VR6 will be similar, but not 100% sorry

:cat:

Great, thanks for letting me know. I bought these last night from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_956

Only a fiver plus delivery and they should do the trick, they seem quite long but I'm sure I can do something with them.

Thanks again.

Jim