Andy T

VR6 Sump Gasket replacement advice

I'm going to start this job tomorrow, I've noticed that some of the sump bolts are obscured by a metal cover attached to the gearbox? Can I remove and refit this cover without any issues, does it have a seal etc?

I bought the gasket from AVS, it's a metal-in-rubber gasket made by Elring, in a Febi box(?)

Can anyone advise on the torque setting for the sump bolts? I've heard 11 lbft mentioned but is that correct for the late VR? Cheers.

yes the metal plate is a stone guard, you'll need to remove this to get access to the remaining bolts for the sump. There's no seal on it, just two 13mm bolts holding it on. when you refit the sump gasket i would clean the the face of the sump, coat it with instant gasket, stick your gsket on it and put a few bolts loosely through the holes to line tehm up. Keep the gasket pressed with some wood to make sure its nice and flat.

Then when you're offering this back up to the engine block, make sure the block side is also coated with instant gasket - you only get one chance to fit it properly, otherwise the instant gasket will get smeared. torque is quite low, cant remember what it is, they dont need to be too tight.

there are 24 bolts!

Old thread but if anybody ever needs to know: The torque setting for the sump bolts is 15nm according the VW manual.

(and if you over tighten the ones near the flywheel then you'll strip the thread and have to tap them out to M7. Don't ask me how I know.)