g60jaime

Broken Electric Recaro Adjustment Switch repair fix

Installed my new set of electric Recaros at the weekend. Despite testing them on purchasing and all being good, when installing and testing for the first time in my car everything was as it should be until operating the drivers seat to move the angle of the back rest. It would only go forward not back.

After a quick panic thinking it could be a motor or something, and then calming myself, I swapped the switch over to the passenger side. Had the same problem, so it was just a switch problem.

The plan was to ring VW on Monday morning to see how much a new one would be. But before Monday arrived I took the switch to pieces that evening:

Inserted a flat head screwdriver into four retaining clips that hold the outer casing/housing and worked it off wiggling and working it to reveal the guts.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1040894compressed.jpg[/attachment:2qb0yvth]

Before I had opportunity to take the switch rocker off two little brown bits fell out as I took the internals out of the casing. This transpired to be a little slider that depresses a sprung contact onto the activating contact when you rock the switch. It essentially looked like a bit of blank circuitboard, but now in two parts.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1040895compressed.jpg[/attachment:2qb0yvth]

I had a little think as to what I could use to improvise as a material to replace the broken bit and decided an old bank card would be a suitable substitute. I cut it down with scissors to the same shape and size and after a few tweeks it appeared to work good as new.

P1040893compressed.jpg[/attachment:2qb0yvth]

First thing Monday morning i went down to test it on the car (bare) and it all worked as it should. As it worked I then replaced the outer casing and installed the switch back into the seats.

A cheap fix for a broken switch. May help someone in the future.

Did you clean up the contactss prior to refitting?

They always get dirty,just like points!!!

Worth cleaning them before putting the switch back in :)

Thanks for this guide with Pics. I had the same problem. Last week the Passenger seat wouldn't adjust backwards. Then yesterday the forward movement stopped.

I've just taken the switch apart. Luckily it wasn't broken like yours. I've soaked it with contact cleaner and worked cottons buds around the inside. Off to the car park to test.

Part no. 535959855B (in Satin Black) €110 from VW here in Germany.

I read on a German Forum that an early interior Sunroof switch 357959855B will also work and they're about £50.00

Ok now working in one direction but not the other. More cleaning needed methinks.

Steeped it in Vinegar and Salt solution for 30 minutes. Followed with Bicarbonate of Soda and water for a a further 30 minutes. Now working fine. Cheers!

if your switch is broken, and doesn't work properly,

u can use early style sunroof switch, it is the same as

Recaro switch, only difference in front of the switch,

but i think u can swap it with front part of Recaro switch,

• Like 1