ukscotth

VR6 wont start after being sat

Hi,

My cars been sat for a couple of months while ive been away travelling and now it wont start :( It has a brand new battery and fuel. It turns over but wont fire up. Ive been told the first thing to check is the plugs so I've ordered a plug removal tool. While im waiting for it to arrive is there anything else I can check ? I read somewhere that I shud here the fuel pump when turning the igition on, is that right ? I dont hear any pump noises when I turn the ignition on.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

ok thanks, is there any way to test those ? i read something about bypassing the fuel pump relay, is that something you would advise ?

You can do but you should be able to feel them energise when you turn the key to crank... Try putting your hand on the relays first to test.

Check/ reseat all fuses first and re-seat both relays, if fuse 18 is blown then this is Fuel pump and also Lambda probe, you can unplug the probe near to the rear engine mount.

I don't think the FP for the VR6 does prime like the other engines so it could be just stale fuel in the system still...

I would replace the relays (especially if they''ve not been changed in the last 5 years) as this seems a likely cause ECU relay is position 3 and marked number 109, FP is pos 12 and number 167 (or 80? if original)

If that doesn't work then it could also be ignition switch (try shaking the key when cranking) and / or alarm / wiring issues / crank sensor / engine earths etc - also is the oil pressure light going out when cranking??

-------------------

The way the VR works is that the ECU relay comes on at Ignition II then the FP relay is then only energised again once the ECU receives a signal from the Crank sensor (G28) and this then powers the fuel pump and Lambda heating.

hi, why did you asked about oil pressure light going out when cranking?? i have the same problem and yes, the oil pressure light its flashing :confused4:

Apologies for ressurecting an old thread, but does anyone have the part number for a fuel pump relay (167) that has been purchased recenlty for a VR6 ?

My stealer shows lots of superceded part numbers and the one I have in the car shows up as an ECU relay on their system.

I bought the fuel pump relay and the ecu relay at the same time

:shrug:

Part number 191 906 383C

And yeah its been superseeded a few times the same part is used in the mk4 golf my part man couldnt find it on the system under corrado so searched in mk4 for fuel pump relay and then took that part number and used it under corrado search and then found it

My pump relay went over the weekend. The way I tested it was using a battery charger and leads from a multimeter I jump started the fuel pump to make sure that was ok, since I knew the pump would run ok I knew it had to be a power suply issue to the pump. Relay 167 is common accross quite a few VAG cars, I picked up one out of a Polo down my local scrappy for £1.

Ordered part today - should be at dealer's on Monday.

Once I have both the ECU and Fuel Pump relays verified and working, I will post both part numbers.

Cheers.

Here are the part numbers for the two relays - these were got from VAG on 10/5/2010, so should be the most recent.

ECU Relay - (109) - 1J0 906 381 A

Fuel Pump Relay - ( 167) - 191 906 383 C

Hope this helps someonw when ordering.

how much should the relays cost, my local stealer wants £16 for the ecu relay and £26 for the fuel relay. does that sound right? i may try a scrappy on the way up there. lol..

That sounds about right for the dealer prices - they're in euros over here.

You might pick them up cheaper in GSF or the like, or even better a Bosch distributor - they are standard relays and can be cross-referenced with the correct part number. The 167 fuel one is in a lot of VAG cars - if you do get one from a scrappy's, go for a relatively young car, as relays can and do go wrong over time - otherwise we wouldn't even have such a thread.

My money would be on the factory immobiliser blocking the ecu

as the car was fine before you parked it up I take it.

Get it pluged in and check the immobiliser for fault codes.

You may need to recode it ...wee buns.

also check engine for faults, Cranks sensor will pop up as the car is not running never worry about that one.

Just to update this thread - the relays did not make a difference, but probably no harm to replace them on a 15+ year old car anyway.

What fixed my starting issue was to replace the fuel pressure regulator on the right hand side of the injection rail with a new one - the car starts on the button every time now - I imagine what was happening was that the fuel pressure was dropping over time when the car was sitting, which would take it longer to start. About €75 euro new.

I'm having a similar issue with my VR6, turns over but won't start, no spark, no fuel. Another sympton is the radio is completely dead i.e. it will not power up to allow security code input. What does this mean? Is the radio a possible source of the problem is it a symptom of something else? I understand the radio has an immobilizer function.

battery is good, needed a charge after sitting for for a few months but now is good. Or, is there a separate battery for the radio?