Sign in to follow this  
Purds

More power from my g60

alright guys, now my g is running at 210bhp with a stage 4 charger, chip, s/s exhaust but im looking to get more out of it. I have been advised to go for a big valve head but i have also been told this can be quite costly. What kind of power could i be looking at with a ported big valve head and what else could i do to maximize the power

thanks

purds

I've got 230 bhp at the fly with a totally standard head and 68mm pulley :nuts:

There's other stuff to do before the head, you may have already done this:

Cam,

Front Mount IC,

4 branch exhaust mani,

RSR outlet,

Oil cooler,

Plus some DG Autotech magic dust that seems to give everyone +20bhp :D

It can be costly to get a well flowed head and if your just chasing power why not just turbo it?

as far as im aware that all thats been done to the car. All the work done was by the previous owner. I havent got alot of cash so turbo would be way out of my price range but i was hoping to get it to around 250 bhp without to much major costs. Ill look into those things you have mentioned though

thanks

Apart from the cam, you should be able to see the rest just by looking under the bonnet. And don't forget cleaning everything up and hunting for those elusive G60 boost leaks :brickwall: can gain valuable bhp :D

this is what iv had done

1.9 engine ( 83mm pistons) fully balance bottom end, vr6 clutch, lightened g60 flywheel. Cnc ported head. G-werks spec Newman cam, piper adjustable cam pulley. Grey motor sport injectors. G-werks 4 branch manifold and custom exhaust 2.5” bore. 2 boxes. Ported inlet manifold, custom focus rs charge cooler 3” boost pipes. Gt4 pre rad, Erl Aquamist water injection and a gallon tank in boot. G-werks front engine mount. Diesel gear box mount, vibratech rear engine mount. Custom road mapped chip, 65mm tooth belt pulley, St4 charger

really should get it on the rollers, shifts well tho

mini-DSC_0542.jpg

as far as im aware that all thats been done to the car. All the work done was by the previous owner. I havent got alot of cash so turbo would be way out of my price range but i was hoping to get it to around 250 bhp without to much major costs. Ill look into those things you have mentioned though

thanks

As someone who's just sold off their 252bhp G60 engine (still one of the most powerful yet built), keep hoping... 250ish BHP out of a G60 without too much cost simply isn't possible, sorry... :? (unless you run a silly small pulley and rebuild the charger lots!)

Your best bet is to find out exactly what has been done to your car so far, and build on that... Getting more power out of the G60 engine is all about getting it to breath better... gas-flowing the inlet tract (manifold, throttle body and charger) helps, but won't do much on it's own. A free flowing exhaust manifold will help lots (the standard one is quite restrictive). A more aggressive cam will boost power too...

After that, you're onto head work and/or capacity increase, both of which don't tend to be cheap... :?

Robg60? That's gonna be a good combination if you've got a decent map for it... I reckon that'll be at the 250bhp mark with similar torque too! sounds very much like my old engine spec... 8)

if i get more bay lookin anything like that i'd be a happy bunny! :albino:

when i get space to start any serious work on mine i will be going for 2lt bottom end, big injecters, cam, inlet and outlet manifold work, lightend & balanced crank and flywheel. ive also got an eaton but not sure bout changing the ladder though.

again i would be in the hope of gettin bout 250 bhp from her.