Sign in to follow this  
fla

rear number plate plinth fitting?

I had my rear plinth colour coded but unfortunately, when they removed it they broke off teh four mounting lugs on the back of it. Also teh self tapping bolts were well and truely rusted. How id the plinth fixed back on properly - is there anything other than the four clips at the top ie do the number plate bolts go all teh way through to the tailgate? At the moment i've just got the two rectangular slots in the tailgate for teh plate bolts and thats it. I've used some double sided on teh plinth itself but its not that secure tbh. Any suggestions?

mine is broken too. used bolts through into the tailgate with lots of washers and a bolt to secure it on. much stronger and more secure than it was originally.

i think i managed to get 4 in though might have only been 3 as the spoiler mech / wiper motor gets in the way...

did you use the same locations as the plastic posts and do the boltheads show? My number plate is stuck on REALlY firmly so i'm loathe to remove it

Mine is held on by the 2 screws though the number plate. I've been intending for a long time to use those collapsible plasterboard fixings that have a set screw running through them. You put the fixing in, tighten the screw till the collapssing legs fold up against the back of the hole and tighten. Remove the screw, stick it through the number plate and tighten up. Used this on other cars for replacing broken bits and it worked OK.

did you use the same locations as the plastic posts and do the boltheads show? My number plate is stuck on REALlY firmly so i'm loathe to remove it

thinking about it, yes I probably did. no they don't show once number plate is on. i've also put one of them 'quick release' number plate surrounds on to make swapping between road and show use plates easy...

*cough* Sikaflex *cough* :grin:

I've got some superstrong double sided for the bottom, but there's nowhere to attach the top portion of the plinth as such.

Mine is held on by the 2 screws though the number plate. I've been intending for a long time to use those collapsible plasterboard fixings that have a set screw running through them. You put the fixing in, tighten the screw till the collapssing legs fold up against the back of the hole and tighten. Remove the screw, stick it through the number plate and tighten up. Used this on other cars for replacing broken bits and it worked OK.

Are these the metal ones? would they not scratch some of the paint off?

Yeah, they'rr metal and have two liytle poined tangs on the screw side that are supposed to dig into the plasterboard. I flattened these with pliers and then just offered them up to the hole and screwed away till they tightened. The paintwork wasn' affected as far as I remember but if you're worried about that you could use a fibre washer or suchlike to make sure.

*cough* Sikaflex *cough* :grin:

I've got some superstrong double sided for the bottom, but there's nowhere to attach the top portion of the plinth as such.

You're not using enough... ;) BIG blobs work well... ;) :geek:

Oh its a liquid? I thought it was just strong double-sided tape. Would it also be ok to use some blobs of clear silicone?

Would it also be ok to use some blobs of clear silicone?

Silcone's basically the same stuff, just Sikaflex is much, much stickier! (and tends to be black)

Yeah, big blobs, or multiple layers (build it up so it'll make contact) of silicone sealant will hold it on too... 8)