Sign in to follow this  
jpowell79

The definitive guide to ABS

Can anyone help with posting a definitive guide to ABS, and then perhaps we could have it as a sticky?

MY ABS light doesn't work - I changed the bulb, and cleared the codes with VAG-COM, but still no light, and to be honest I don't have a clue how to test (apart from driving very fast, and braking suddenly!)

does anyone have a step-by-step guide on the following:

1. How to test if your ABS is working (I recall something about turning the iginition key, and the light should come on, then go off after a few seconds?)

2. Which parts commonly go wrong with ABS - how to get to them, what they look like, how to check if they're ok?

3. Part numbers

4. Troubleshooting - component & electrical - which wires should we be checking, fuses, anything else?

Really want to get the ABS sorted out , but just don't have a clue where to start! :confused4:

Some helpful information on common ABS faults here

Just pray that it is not your ABS brake pedal position sensor :censored:. See this thread

Its something that we all go through owning Corrados. I dont know much about the ABS system but getting your C hooked up to VAG COM would illiminate alot of wasted time. Putting your foot on the brake pedal whilst turning on the ignition key should induce a pulse which you should be able to feel on the brake pedal if the ABS system is working.

Its something that we all go through owning Corrados. I dont know much about the ABS system but getting your C hooked up to VAG COM would illiminate alot of wasted time. Putting your foot on the brake pedal whilst turning on the ignition key should induce a pulse which you should be able to feel on the brake pedal if the ABS system is working.

yeah I did have some fault codes relating to ABS on VAG com but deleted them and they haven't returned

the other thread suggested I look round and check the 4 sensors. Do I need to take the wheels off to access them?

anyone??