Sign in to follow this  
Black Knight

Upgrading to VR6

My next motor would have to be a COUPE ! my choice is quite vast ! so I'll write them down & see what you guys have to say about them 1

Peugeot 406 V6

Corrado VR6/Storm

Nissan 200sx

Honda Prelude

Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Mitsubishi FTO.

That would be my selection ! If you can think of anything better please let me know !

My price limit is about £10,OOO

I thank you !

Don't waste your money on a storm, they are overpriced

ones french....the rest are japanese....... :roll: :mrgreen:

i have driven the following and so can only comment on those

406 coupe V6

pretty quick and not bad round corners. looks great IMO but need bigger wheels. Interior is exactly the same as the standard 406 saloon though, bit on the grandad side of things.

Prelude

engine is great but not as refined as the vr6. you'll have to get the 2.2 vtec to keep up with the vr6 and that drinks fuel!! hard to find a good standard one aswell. most have been breathed on by boy racers

FT0

i drove the 2.0 v6 mivec (which is live a vtec). it was quick but nothing special... again most are imports so its hard to get a good one.

Finally the corrado vr6

yes the storm does ask alot of money for not much extra... but if you can find a good storm im sure it'll hold its money for you when you have it :D. good engine but needs a good push to get going. probably a chip in the ecu will help a little. very comfortable and great handling probably the best i have driven so far (which is why i own one)

Well, for value for money and reliability a standard Prelude or 200SX would be my choice.

The Touring 200SX is really well kitted out, rear wheel drive etc, v. reliable, v.quick, understated and mean looking (97 on).

Prelude would have the Honda reliability, looks good, VTEC kick etc, but VTEC's can become tiring day to day (I should know :wink: )

HOWEVER, overall I would definately go for the Corrado VR6! Wonderful driver's car, creamy V6 that sounds awesome, rare, etc etc.

Supra twin turbo would be awesome, but would have stupid insurance and if anything went wrong it would cost a fortune. Not really an everyday sports car either (if that's what you're after).

406 is nice looking, but a bit dull and there's quite a few around.

FTO is a looker but apparently the build quality is slightly lacking to say the least!

Prelude would have the Honda reliability, looks good, VTEC kick etc, but VTEC's can become tiring day to day (I should know :wink: )

What VTEC kick? I honestly can't detect it. All that happens when the hi-lift cams kick in is extra noise and vibration. Tiring? I was bored after 10 mins during my Civic Type R test drive.....

K

the civic type r doesnt kick because it has the newer i-vtec as does the S2000 (its a smoother transaction that you dont notice)

the older vtecs (integra, prelude and crx) were alot harsher and more noticeable and did feel like a little 'kick'

the civic type r doesnt kick because it has the newer i-vtec as does the S2000 (its a smoother transaction that you dont notice)

the older vtecs (integra, prelude and crx) were alot harsher and more noticeable and did feel like a little 'kick'

Ah, OK. I preferred keeping the Civic well away from the redline as it was smoother and more responsive!

]What VTEC kick? I honestly can't detect it. All that happens when the hi-lift cams kick in is extra noise and vibration. Tiring? I was bored after 10 mins during my Civic Type R test drive.....

Think Jedi has explained it. It was very noticable on my old 1.6 VTI (B16 engine), and less so on my current 1.8 (B18), although it still does have quite a high end kick (from 5.5K revs), and if you can keep it in the zone it's a very quick car indeed :twisted: BUT, as I said before it can become tiring trying to keep it in the zone- not exactly power on demand :?

Gotta be the Supra twin turbo imo. Always the minefield of buying an import though unless you can find a uk car within your budget. None of the other cars can come close to the performance these things have in standard trim....

And the Supra does have the total wow factor.

You see way less of them around than Corrado's, and they are just such OTT looking cars. If you can afford it, i'm sure it'd be great fun ;)

Though I wouldn't have been out in this weather in one.. unless I fancied getting towed out of a hedge.

if you going down the supra root, what about an imported RX-7. or the Supra's younger, tamer brother, the MR2 turbo.

My friend has the mr2 turbo imprted from japan and he hasnt touched the engine but it gives him 240bhp (i think, may be 250??). mid engine, rear wheel drive, the thing flys, and is fairly cheap to buy now, around the £5000 mark. parts are easy to get as its the same engine as the uk produced celica GT4 turbo.