It usually is a combination of small niggles with these engines!

When you replace your plugs next, try the Bosch F5DPOR (Audi S2). They're the same design as the G60 plug and they work brilliantly in VRTs.

Good figures there Coullstar, sounds very nice too :D

Yeah I'm 8.5:1 as well.

I'm wondering if it could be intercooler related? Both me and JamminStormVR6 seem to make good numbers and our engines are practically identical, and use the Schimmel charge cooler, which is significantly less volume to fill than a front mount IC + all the piping.

Im running 9:1 CR with no Cat, full 3" system... but, I do not run the schimmel CC Kev.... I have a custom Forge FMIC

IMG_1213.jpg

Good figures there Coullstar, sounds very nice too :D

Yeah I'm 8.5:1 as well.

I'm wondering if it could be intercooler related? Both me and JamminStormVR6 seem to make good numbers and our engines are practically identical, and use the Schimmel charge cooler, which is significantly less volume to fill than a front mount IC + all the piping.

Im running 9:1 CR with no Cat, full 3" system... but, I do not run the schimmel CC Kev.... I have a custom Forge FMIC

IMG_1213.jpg

That is really nice set up, thats how i wanted to go

Due to the theral conductivite or water being so much higher than air, I would expect a Chargecooler system to outperform a similar Aircooled (so to speak) system.

Do any of your ECU logs include things like bmep (brake mean effective pressure) or imep (indicated " " ")? I'd love to have a nosey!

p.s. after writing my VR6 dry sump design interim report, it made me think about how your bottom ends are lasting with the boostage.

What bearings do you use?

very interesting. I guess they are strong as feck then, although having a very linear spooling turbo will deffo help with the journal loading.

You can use Audi RS4 (the 2.7 biturbo one) coated bearings but there's no real need at these modest boost levels. Good old 12V tankness. I keep reading of 24V Turbos spinning rod bearings on the Vortex. Doesn't happen on the 12V. Maybe it's because VW went from a plain bearing to a grooved one for the 24V?

well a grooved bearing would introduce weakness over a solid one, so you could be right. It's not like VW knew there were going to be some nutters slapping turbos on them!

You can use Audi RS4 (the 2.7 biturbo one)

Never heard about it. Are they correct size or smaller and you need to machine your crank down ??

Exactly. more space for oil to flow, and technically the crankshaft will be floating more on the oil than a small film on a metal bearing which is much better.

Downsides are smaller contact area so increase the force (cylinder pressure through charging) and those bearings won't last very long.

You can use Audi RS4 (the 2.7 biturbo one)

Never heard about it. Are they correct size or smaller and you need to machine your crank down ??

That's all I know on the subject. I was told they're a direct fit, but I've never tried them myself.

Car has sat for about a month and battery is dead. Decided to take the exhaust off and check the turbo, turns out the CAT filter has detached from the ID of the casing and can move a good 1-2inches and the exhaust has been knocking on the steering rack due to the big centre silencer. Im removing the silencer till I find a better fitting one and will have a go at knocking out the CAT material but it seems quite tough.

Ive also ordered a bigger air filter to give it a try. Once the CAT is out and new filter on I should be getting back on the same RR to see if this make any difference.

that's crap luck - best of luck getting it all sorted

:)

i have a spare sports cat just kicking around if you're after one...

What size?

if you check out this link here then you can see some pics of it

i offered it to ozowen originally, he hasn't got back to me so i'm not sure if he still wants it...

if you get in touch with him to find out (as he effectively has first dibs), but if he doesn't want it and you do then you're more than welcome; i'm not after much for it...

Got the CAT material out but Ive kept the silencer in. Heat wrapped the lower section of the downpipe as its damn near the steering rack. Decided to take the car for a run as its not been out for a good few weeks and whilst waiting at a car wash there was a massive plum of coolant steam from under the bonnet. Turns out the lower flange hose on the thermstat housing had snapped off completely. Called RAC, told 45min wait. An hour later they still hadnt arrived so I tried bodging it myself. I managed to get the hose on the stub and tested it with cap on for 10min before heading home. Just got home for the RAC to call and say they will be another 2hrs :cuckoo: . Dont know why I pay for them!! On a plus side the car did feel like it was pulling better and Ive found the next turbo for the car below :lol: . Im still missing old greeny TBH as I never had to worry about it.

Nice turbo. You think RAC is bad try AA. Gave them a call at 19:00, was told they will be in 45 minutes. First AA truck arrived at 23:30 telling me after 15 minutes that I need tow track to get me home. I mention them at 19:00 that head gasket on my car is probably gone and I need tow track so... after another 3 hours waiting tow track arrived at 3 am and got me and friend home at 5:30 in the morning. Could be worst ??

hey again pal - more crap luck for you it seems! :?

at least you were able to sort youself out and didn't have to wait too long.

when i was bringing my C home for the first time once i'd had the wiring done, one of the rear brake carrier bolts came out and the assembly started flapping around!

i rang the RAC and said look, this is what's happened, you won't be able to fix it and i need a low-loader not a tow truck (as it had an LSD and i wasn't willing to risk it being towed and potentially buggering the quaife).

lo and behold a tow-truck (not a low-loader!) turns up over an hour and a half after they said they would for me to tell the guy exacly the same thing, then have to wait a further 2.5 hours - not impressed!!! (at least the engine was still fine so i could keep warm!)

as for the cat, i honestly have no idea what the material is...

it's meant for an evo, so it would be subject to some fairly hoofing temperatures, but honestly i have no idea what the material is. if you don't mind paying the postage (that is if you don't buy it) i'll post it to you an you can have a look for yourself with no obligation to buy it...

Wasnt too bothered by the wait if im honest and at least Ive managed not to break my record of never needing towed home since I started driving.

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. Im looking at other options at the moment like the one from GT3turbo with v-band flanges on.

Hell, at least you all had breakdown cover! :lol: not like the time my water pump pulley let go and took me 4hours to get 40 miles home all by myself (and probably killing the engine in the mean time).