Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

starting issues - sticking solenoid??

last summer, every now and again, the vr6 wouldnt start. All lights came on, fuel pump primed but just wouldnt turn over, nothing. kept trying and eventually it started, every time. Then the winter came and no problems at all, then last week after a weekend of sitting in the sun she wouldnt start again, identical porblem to last summer. Tried a few times, nothing, waited a while, tried again and she started.

Im guessing as it only seems to happen when its sunny its probabally a sticking solenoid? does this sound right?

if so would you recommend replacing just the soldenoid or the whole starter motor?

Thanks.

Is the problem it not turning over at all or it turning over and not starting? I know a sticking solenoid can cause the starter motor not to disengage once the engine has started. I would check the starter earth first make sure its clean and theres a good connection.

try using a jump lead from the negative terminal of the starter to a good earth point. If it starts fine you know its the starter earth if not check the solenoid and see if the starter is getting a voltage when turning over.

the issue is the fact that the problem is so intermittent. It happens very rarely and when it does happen its cured normally within 20 mins, everytime i take it to the garage everything works perfectly so they cant really test it.

Solenoids are more likely to stick in the warm weather...

When it happens just take the red / black plug off the starter solenoid and check for 12V when the ignition is in the crank position - this rules out ignition switch / alarm wiring etc.

I would just replace it though (the whole starter) if it's not been done in the last 5 years or so for peace of mind plus you can't bump a VR engine because of the chains.

When it happens just take the red / black plug off the starter solenoid and check for 12V when the ignition is in the crank position - this rules out ignition switch / alarm wiring etc.

I would just replace it though (the whole starter) if it's not been done in the last 5 years or so for peace of mind plus you can't bump a VR engine because of the chains.

thanks, think thats what im going to do. Its not like its an expensive job. Is a new one the only way to go??

I have had the same problem in the warm weather and a hot engine. Leave the car for between 15 and 30 minutes and it's a non starter. Changed the whole starter motor and after six months the same thing. I did the relay mod to get a direct link between the battery and the solenoid and have not had it happen in 2 years. There is a thread on here somewhere on how to do it. Search for 'For those with hot start problems - lil update' Quite simple wireing, bits from Maplin.

ill have a look, thanks. The issue isnt when the engine is hot though, ie from driving, its when the weather is hot and sunny, the engine normally hasnt been started for hours when it happens.

the solenoid is very simple, i would remove it clean it up and refit first just to ensure this is indeed the fault. Its teh cylinder in the solenoid that will need lubing.

my car used to do this all the time. I replaced the whole starter just to be sure. Out of interest why can you not bump the VR as I did mine 5 or 6 times

my car used to do this all the time. I replaced the whole starter just to be sure. Out of interest why can you not bump the VR as I did mine 5 or 6 times

Yeah you need to remove the starter to replace the solenoid (very tricky in situ) so no point fitting an old starter back on IMO.

You shouldn't bump a VR because of the potential to stretch the chains.

and since fitting the new starter have you had any issues??

and since fitting the new starter have you had any issues??

Nope been going for about a year and a bit now and not been any trouble since :)