Sign in to follow this  
vw domo

fited new coilovers but now have a problem!

the rears where a peice of pie but the mounts in the fronts just fall away when the car is jacked up, will get some pics up when i can but if anyone knows what i mean and how to help it would be greatly appreciated.

the stabdard suspention was longer and kept pressure on the top mounts it seemed.....

i took everything from the old setup and resembled it with the new coilovers, in order from top of coilover:

-hat shaped spacer

-rubber mount

-slotted nut for bearing

then i fitted them and dropped the car down and wound the slotted nut that sits in the bearing in till it was tight with long nose pliers,

then put the cap and nut on over the top.

so do the mounts just get wedged up in the sleeve mounts?

you got a picture yet? I think what you mean is that the topcaps arn't sitting flush, if so this was same on both my corrado's. It does mean it drops slightly when you jack it up but it won't come out of place. I think the only way to get around this is to get lowering topcaps but im sure someone may correct me if im wrong

No, they arn't designed to lower your car more they are designed to work with lowered shocks. They are basically shortened top hats (the caps that you bolt on from the top), now i may be dreaming this up but im sure i've seen them somewhere lol!!!

just looking for something like what i've described but think i've briefly scanned over the spring caps and assumed they were to be used as the top caps rather than for the springs. my mistake!

thats whats happening when i jack up the car, but that was befor i let it sit for a while on the weight of the car.

sorry it took so long to get some pics up.

are they going to fail me for this on my mot :confused4:

mines exactly the same, did you replace the rubber top mounts? I replaced mine thinking i would do it right and it just did exactly the same and i've been through an mot with that.

cool, thanks.

yea i bought some poly top mounts but they just make it worse :lol: so i put the old ones back on as there not too bad.

.........NEED ADVICE URGENTLY...........I need to bump this as I have just fitted some coilovers and now when the car is jacked up, the strut drops and rests on the top cap as in the pictures, allowing me to lift the strut assembly with the wheel into the arch...surely this cant be right, I dont really want to road test at the mo because i'm positive going over a bump is going to result in loss of a proper connection.........NEED ADVICE URGENTLY...........

Just to clarify, it is excatly as in the pictures...... :help: :shrug:

Well as long as the topcaps are on the suspension won't go anywhere and you would pretty much need to take off to make the struts drop far enough to notice. As i said above, mine are almost exactly the same and were on my last car when i put coilovers on. I checked on an old picture i have when it had standard suspension on and it was the same.

Even though I only have a couple of threads at the top is this ok?its done up as tight as can be done with an impact gun and a makeshift tool to hold the strut and when its on the ground its sitting fine so i'll take it for a drive....:)

Even though I only have a couple of threads at the top is this ok?its done up as tight as can be done with an impact gun and a makeshift tool to hold the strut and when its on the ground its sitting fine so i'll take it for a drive....:)

as long as the nuts all the way on it all good, did mine up with a pipe wrench on a socket and the alenkey with a bar on the end :lol: still tight tho :D

WEasn't happy with it so disassembled the fronts, and after thinking about it, i had put one too many nuts on so its now all tight and hunky dory!!may go lower though!