Whitedog

Whitedog's VR6 - No. 2

Headlining out tonight, was suprised at how easy this was to remove.....cant wait to trim it now. Also on a plus point my sunroof drainage points are spot on, all clear and no leaking from here... :clap:

Also, my sunroof..... :censored: pretty certain its the cable on the lhs thats snapped, reason i say this is it'll tilt, but when i try to lower it the rhs comes back lovely, the left isnt budging.....am i right that its the cable??

How high does the sunroof lift when in tilt mode, as mine doesnt seem very high (probably open just over an inch), is this the norm or have i got other problems?

Cheers all.

Well today i set about turning the flash pink bodywork back to flash red. Reason being i have bought a cover for it to try and protect it a bit over the winter and wanted it nice a clean before putting it on.

Lots of t-cut, autoglym srp, turtle wax colour magic later its looking flash RED again....yay.....and the cover fits a treat, could do with it being about 4-6 inches longer but hey, couldnt we all :lol:

Lets see if it stays during the winter winds..... :shrug:

Also confirmed during weashing the car that the leak soaking my carpets is definitely coming from the foliage seal area......next job to do once i can get to vw and order the parts.

68183_439217575027_585785027_5359082_635488_n.jpg

All wrapped up, no snow or frost gonna get it this winter, hopefully it'll stop it from fading to flash pink all the time too as it keeps out uv rays. Oh, and the pesky bird poop too.

Yeah the car covers seem to blow off or half blow off when your :sleeping: prob best try and tie it mind you you might have better luck than myself!

Yeah the car covers seem to blow off or half blow off when your :sleeping: prob best try and tie it mind you you might have better luck than myself!

Thinking of getting a couple of holes put into it with eyelets, then just put a bungey cord underneath, should do the trick.

So tonight i thought i'd try and get another job crossed off the massive list and decided to have a go fitting the bonnet release cable that i acquired from tallpaul1977, cheers paul. Fairly simply to do, a bit fiddly. Probably harder to get the fuse box back into position with the white clip thing. Now just need to get a new guide and clamp (the trumpet looking things) from vw and that'll be that sorted.

Also today i managed to print off my pdf copy of the bentley manual.........1060 pages, double sided thats still 530 :shock:

Now gotta hole punch them all..... :roll: :epicfail:

Another night, another job......tonight i removed the headlights and detailed the silver bit inside a nice gloss white, with a black/grey stripe in between the two lights. Think they'll look smart when fitted, lighten up the front end a bit, lenses are a bit pitted but should clean up with a bit of t-cut.

Photo of lights would be good, sounds interesting.

Will get some in the morning, they're in the garage and i'm about to grab a bath.....think they look a bit different from doing them dark...

trumpet things not available bud.....i know ive tried to order them....

do your self a massive favour and take the cover off at least 1 a week the water sits underneath it and esp on a red car it penetrates the paint 'staining' it and it is a total asshole job to try and get it out if at all......

id look out for areas like rear spioler /boot roof parts tops of wings

do your self a massive favour and take the cover off at least 1 a week the water sits underneath it and esp on a red car it penetrates the paint 'staining' it and it is a total asshole job to try and get it out if at all......

Ive got this problem on my rado from the previous owner 'dry' storing it... 4 hits with menzerna intensive polish and im still working on it lol. That lacquer looks superb and the reflections great but when the sun hits the roof you can see semen stains on my roof, big ones :lol:

Lights sound good though fella, get some piccys up. Whens the suspension getting done?

trumpet things not available bud.....i know ive tried to order them....

Not available as in obselete..? That could be an :epicfail:

Yeah, whenever its a dry day it'll be coming off, its a fully waterproof one so no water can penetrate, although i know condensation could still form. Gonna get the mrs to stitch me up a corrado shape cover out of terry towelling or the like to put under it which should help.

I know they arent the best, but my paint isnt brill anyhow, and it cant be anyworse than the state of the car following last winters outdoor survival.

Lights sound good though fella, get some piccys up. Whens the suspension getting done?

Just uploading pics of lights, will be on shortly. Suspension is having a bit of an overhaul around march time, once the worst of the winter is out the way, in preparation for its mot and grand unveiling in april. :norty:

Pics of lights, excuse quality, having to use phone as camera is broke... :(

light01.jpg

light02.jpg

Well, got the lights fitted tonight, think they look smart, again pictures dont really do them justice, look better in the flesh.

light2-1.jpg

light1-1.jpg

Also sanded and painted the rad support brackets too as they were off the car and looking tatty.

looks clean, i reacon those wheels would look fat if it were sat on the floor....

Also cheers fro info on the wheels, im not sure which i rather tbh, i do like the black and polished but as im stuck with choice i did both....

Looks ok i supose, appart from the fact the polished wheels are dirty all the time, no matter how much i clean them....

yeah, i'm looking forward to dropping it as much as i can (dependant on getting off my drive) and seeing what they look like....something different for a bit anyhow. Seen a set polished and they look they nuts, just couldnt be arsed to do it....

Yeah, body seems fairly tidy. A dent on the passenger wing and a bit of filler round a rear arch but that seems all, although it may be a different story once i start digging prior to a respray......it'll do for now anyhow. And if it turns out to be a stinker i'll just try to find a nugget and shove everything in that.... :lol:

yellow one would be nice, respray it yellow?

Lambo yellow.

Nah keep it and fix the bits, unless its completly not worth your cash/time/effort.

Ive got enough little bits needing doing, id imagine you have seen...

Right, last night i decided to flush out the coolant and replace with proper mix of g12 plus water, it currently only had water in after the rebuild. I was getting a bit worried as the frosty icy weather seems to be coming now.

I also replaced one of the auto coolant hoses for a manual one so alls good now. Took me about 2 hours in the dark and cold, lots of swearing due to difficult to reach spring clips etc etc....but got there in the end. (but now have a bit of rust in my eye...ow)

Ran car up to temp to try and remove any air locks......and did notice once i turned the car off my fans seemed to remain on permanently.......after about 10 mins i got concerned and pulled the loom going to the fan to turn them off.

Two questions, if i just ran it up to temp on my drive then turned it off, how long should the fans stay on for after?

Secondly, if they are remaining on permanently what could be the cause of this?

Cheers all.

Well......another update a few months on....

This week the rest of my suspension bits arrived so today i set about renewing...

...New track rod ends

...New drop links

...New ball joints

...New wishbones and bushes

...New coilovers

...New top mounts

...New rear top mounts

All this in the rain.....started raining a couple of hours in and i didnt want to stop.

I'll get some photo's 2moro in the light, but it now sits much lower so i am one happy chappy. Although i do need a bit of welding now as the jack went through one of the jacking points.....doh... more work for the mot...

I have also picked up a new foiliage seal and relevant clips so one evening this week (a dry evening) i'm gonna replace that. I'll then beable to clean my carpet and put that back nice and dry and staying that way now hopefuly.

Pictures as promised....

dubstuff.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Much better i think you'll agree. Will need to play around with the height once its all road legal, need to see if i can get off my drive yet too :lol: but i love it now.....how it should be sitting.

very nice :salute: :salute:

Cheers, its been a long time coming so its nice to finally get it down....

Still lots to do but hopefully get it road legal around the start of April......fingers crossed.