Whitedog

Whitedog's VR6 - No. 2

aha yea mate, looks spot on, appart from the skett on the grill aha.

Could go a bit more :)

aha...

Nah it looks very nice mate, those lights look a treat too.

Good luck with the getting it road legal.

:D

aha yea mate, looks spot on, appart from the skett on the grill aha.

Whats a skett????

Well today it was dry so i thought i would crack on and change the foliage seal in the scuttle tray.

Stripped it down and was confronted with a bit of a mess

IMG_1099.jpg

You can see how the old seal had just about had it, it was really brittle...

IMG_1101.jpg

If like me you find that the previous owner never bothered to replace the broken clips with new ones and just used sealent to fix it on then you'll have to remove the old clips before you can fit new ones, to do this push the centre of the clip down then you can pull it out with some pliers

IMG_1104.jpg

I then cleaned up the area and fitted new clips like so..once in this position just push down the centre to secure in place.

IMG_1108.jpg

I then cleaned the grill and fitted the new seal. While it was off i thought i would fit some gauze like fabric to act as a filter as there isnt any filter before the blower. I just cable tied this in to prevent it from coming loose.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

I then refitted the grill and fixed it in position with the clip like so....

IMG_1112.jpg

As the haynes dictates, refitting is the reverse.....all done.

IMG_1113.jpg

After this i had enough time to fix my radiator properly as i still hadnt done that since the rebuild, one less thing to do.

I can now clean my carpets and refit those when i get a dry day.

coming along very nicely mate, when its all legal drop me a pm or pop round to my work, and if you need a hand anytime let me no.

karl

Interesting job you did today, whats the befits? what does the foilage thing do?

Karl, i will do, once its road legal you wont be getting me out of it trust me, i'll pop over to show ya.

Kempy. The seal basically needs replacing because water passes this area on its way to the wing drain, if its all brittle then water can get in and down past your heater blower right into your footwell....nice wet carpets. I would recommend that if you havent replaced that seal in the last 3-5 years then i would do it, only costs about £8 in bits from vw. I only needed 3 clips and clip inserts not the 5 stated in the wiki.

I have 2 clips and clip inserts left over if anybody if anybody wants them, you'd only need another 1 from vw along with the seal then....let me know and i can pop them in the post.

dont think i get wet carpets. but i do get ice on the inside though but i think thats down to my sunroof and the channels in the roof

dont think i get wet carpets. but i do get ice on the inside though but i think thats down to my sunroof and the channels in the roof

you dont yet....but for £8 and 30 mins of your time it'll certainly prevent you from getting them........all the trim out, carpets up, underlay up to dry out, carpet needed to dry out, then refit everything etc....

prevention is better than the cure....

Cheers Abdul. :salute:

deffo, so its the passenger side mainly though? It might be wet not really been on that side lol.. does this fix help the temp of the heater at all? :shrug: My oil temp was up around 100 today and the heat werent that good really or will this be the matrix that people go on about.. It can get cold now I got leather seats :|

deffo, so its the passenger side mainly though? It might be wet not really been on that side lol.. does this fix help the temp of the heater at all? :shrug: My oil temp was up around 100 today and the heat werent that good really or will this be the matrix that people go on about.. It can get cold now I got leather seats :|

Yeah, the front passenger footwell mainly, although it can travel to the rear also.

It wont do anything about the heat of your fans, this may be a matrix issue, certainly sounds like it could be. Yeah leather does have its disadvantages.

Well, time flies and not a lot gets done....guess thats having young kids for you eh.... i'm having a big push to see if i can get it all finished in the next couple of months and back on the road so tonight i went out in the dark and fitted half of the new underlay after the old stuff got trashed when it got wet. This is just some foam carpet underlay, 7mm thick which i have doubled up to 2 layers so that should be sufficient. I think its the type of stuff you put under laminate flooring, seems to work a treat anyhow. Dont know what it'll be like for stopping sounds but i only wanted it really to give some cushioning under the carpet. Once i finish this its carpet cleaning time so hopefully i'm gonna make the most of this nice weather and see if i can clean it and dry it this weekend, then i can refit it and get it out of the garage finally.

Whilst i was doing this i was running her up, she gets just up to temp when i notice her leaking hot coolant everywhere. On closer inspection it seems the coolant cap was so brittle it broke inside causing the rubber seal to fall away, thus creating a scalding geyser on my drive. at least its only a cheap fix.

IMG_1480.jpg

Well last night after returning home the carpets had fully dried so i though i would just place them in the car being as it was getting dark. One thing led to another and now the carpets and all trim is fully fitted, great fun in the dark with a headtorch.....looks like a car again now... :-) Pictures to follow tonight.

Just got to sort the seats out and they can go back in....then its finishing off the little jobs before the mot...abs sensor etc...

oh, and i picked up another coolant res cap so it runs again.... :-)

I bought a gallon of milk which leaked inside my car. I would like to know what household items i can use to clean the car's rug to not only remove the stain but the awful smell!! I need help quick. Thank you for your input.

carpet cleaning southampton