Sign in to follow this  
fla

VR oil filter metal head seals replacement

Looks like i've got a slight oil leak from the metal housing that the oil filter sits in - where the two fitting bolts go through. Tightened them slightly but doesnt seem to have done much. I think there are two o rings between the housing and the block. Whats the easiest way of getting this off - dont fancy pulling the front off again, tbh.

yeah the housing has a figure of 8 looking seal, but there is three bolts there is one at the top behind the sensers

you could try jacking the car up and seeing if you can get to it from under side but not sure if the front subframe will be in your way, but i think u should have just enough room but it will be a little tricky

but if you carnt then if it was me id just bite the bullet and take the front of but id try and leave the radiator and pipes together and just try and move it out of your way a little

you could even take the inlet off and try it from above, but again not sure how easy it will be with the room

perksy

Totally forgot about this thread..OK, its not dripping too much but i want to still tackle it at some point. In removing the head, after the leads to the sensors are removed, is there a lot of oil that comes out or is it better to remove the filter and drain out whats in there first? I shouldnt think it would be more than half a litre? Can it be removed through the driver's side headlight opening? Dont want to pull the front off if i can avoid it tbh.