Sign in to follow this  
supersix

Will this happen to us too?

He means weld the Corrado bodyshell onto the TT floor / running gear, not take an engine and interior out of a donor cars and stick them into a Corrado :D

I'd say it's possible. I've seen something similar done in the past with a MK2 Golf onto Cosworth running gear.

As for what do you do if you can't get the parts any more, we all buy a new car - and NOT a VW - and we all dump our obsolete Corrados at the VW factory gates with a big sticker on top saying "You win".

He means weld the Corrado bodyshell onto the TT floor / running gear, not take an engine and interior out of a donor cars and stick them into a Corrado :D

I'd say it's possible. I've seen something similar done in the past with a MK2 Golf onto Cosworth running gear.

As for what do you do if you can't get the parts any more, we all buy a new car - and NOT a VW - and we all dump our obsolete Corrados at the VW factory gates with a big sticker on top saying "You win".

yes, abit like that mustang/lambo thing recently posted 8)

It'd probably be a lot of work, unless you took the rolling parts from a car with a dedicated chasis so you can just lift off the old body shell.

Bit like they did when they built Geoff on Topgear.

Certainly would be a lot of work. Plenty of trimming of panels and interior parts for sure!

Dimensionally speaking, welding the Corrado shell onto a MK2 or MK3 Synchro would be far, far easier, and then fit an O2Q box up front and haldex rear diff and you have your CoTTado, of sorts......

But parts for a mk2 must also be obsolete by now? Although at least there is a bigger supply of mk2 used parts than with the Corrado. because the Corrado was always quite rare, the pool of cars to grab spares from is also small.

There are two things that really make the Corrado special... the body and the interior. People convert them to newer engines and add more recent suspension parts and brake parts. So I still think the way to go is to gradually change over those parts. e.g. a 24v conversion (will the newer 2.0 turbo Golf R engines fit?). With more modern brakes, suspension and engine then the only thing to worry about is keeping the bodywork in good condition (the interior can always be retrimmed).

(will the newer 2.0 turbo Golf R engines fit?)

Yes... :study: (although the wiring is an utter pig...)

All manufacturers are legally obliged to maintain a supply of ALL parts for 10 years after production ceases - after that it comes down to pure economics, if things sell and make a profit then they will continue to produce, things that sell slowly and / or do not return a decent return will be axed - its business and Volkswagen are no different to any other manufacturer.

The one exception seems to be Mercedes-Benz who are exceptionally good at maintaining a good supply of parts well after their legal obligation has ceased

They are. I've lost count of the parts cloned in China.... idle valves, turbos, manifolds, fuel pumps, you name it.....

Take this for example - http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/tabid/14 ... fault.aspx

That ain't no Bosch valve. I know this for a fact. I should have guessed really by the price. £70. VW want £250 for the real deal.....

Reverse engineering the parts is possible and going on, but the quality isn't there in a lot of cases.

Like the crappy front wheel bearings I sourced from GSF just 18 months ago and which have just had to be replaced after only 14,000 miles for example. Bearings made from butter are pretty dangerous on a 150mph car... it may get driven that fast occasionally...