Sign in to follow this  
carrots

kr engine oil

ive got a 1.8kr.the tappets make a noise untill its got to its normal temp.ive been using 10w 40w semi in it.ive been thinking of useing 15w 40w mineral .has anyone else used this.i thought it might stay in the tappets longer

just use the cheap 10/40 from gsf in my kr.

its normally a semi synthetic.

noisy tappets will probably mean they need swapping out, but if you have used fully synth then it will have been too thin an oil and you want to drop it quick before you do any perm damage.

My previous 16v had noisy tappets till I got em replaced but did find a swap to 15w40 did help quieten them down a little. There's no way round it though.. if you don't want noisy tappets, you need new ones :(

i think i will try the 15w 40w.when you think about it i bet they put that in it when it got seviced when it was new

surley thinner is what you want if you want to get around the problem...the noise goes away when the oil gets hot and thinner

ive had success with running atf oil mixed in for a few hundred miles,it cleans them out ...not everyone is a fan of flushing oils though

surley thinner is what you want if you want to get around the problem...the noise goes away when the oil gets hot and thinner

nah - it works the other way round with oil you want it thin when cold and stickier when warm so it coats parts rather than just bathing it.

ok it does get runnier when hot and you normally warm it up to drop it out but its the physical property of the oil not the fluidity that does the magic bit.

hope that makes sense.

synthetic oil is very 'thin' when cold due to the tight tollerences that are found in hi-po engines so thats why you use it in V engines, but in our 20 year old 4 pot lumps they didn't build them to the same tollerence and thats why it costs us £10 for a gallon not £45 :clap:

hope this helps.

shall i try some 15w 40w then,i reckon it wont drain out the tappets as quick when the cars standing

new tappets buddy, if uve been using the fuchs titan xtr 10w40 from gsf its very good oil, a thicker oil may quiet that tappets down a little but at the end of the day corrados are old cars and will need things replacing... if its overly excessive tapping then check your oil pump!