Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Any experience with tracking systems?

Any of you guys have any experience with tracking systems? - thinking of installing one when the car is finished.

Are there any good systems that will run on battery backup and send back data to the net so one can monitor it my self - in case of theft?.

the GPS only ones are about to be taken off insurance lists for giving you a discount... :eek: People nicking cars have realised that it's very easy to buy a cheap, small transmitter that swamps the GPS signal and stops things like the Trakker systems from working... :?

There have actually been quite a few cases recently where thieves have actually been targeting cars they KNOW have tracking systems on them as they haven't been left as secured as some of the ones that don't have trackers on... the owners aren't worried about them being nicked as they've got a tracking device, but the thieves aren't worried about being tracked, as they just turn on their transmitter which stops the tracker finding out where it is... :(

If you're going to get one, make sure it's got GSM in it too (bascially a mobile phone!) as that's much, much harder to jam...

I thought tracker used radio signals?

We do trackers recovery after theft service for when the customer isn't able to collect their own car or hand keys to police and for it to be driven.

Dealt with maybe 1 or 2 in the few years we've been doing them?

Tracker does leave car theives paranoid though, which is why they'll park up cars over a few days and leave them before returning.

I have a Trakker fitted to mine. Shame it doesn't make the premium any cheaper though.

I thought tracker used radio signals?

We do trackers recovery after theft service for when the customer isn't able to collect their own car or hand keys to police and for it to be driven.

Dealt with maybe 1 or 2 in the few years we've been doing them?

Tracker does leave car theives paranoid though, which is why they'll park up cars over a few days and leave them before returning.

Tracker does use radio once it's enabled from the control center, however it uses GPS to give a location initially, and then the radio emissions are picked up by the aerial array on the roof of the police car to get it down to the exact location, even if it's in a garage etc... and that's exactly my point, the thieves are using low power GPS and tracker jammers, so they don't need to park up the cars now as they know there's no way to track them as they can't get the inital location... however they don't seem to be jamming GSM at the moment, so mobile phone based ones, while not as accurate as a GPS, will still work...