Sign in to follow this  
russed99

Need advice. Rebuild or replace?

Right then guys i could do with some of your expert advice. :notworthy:

I recently got back into the rado scene with my 1989 1.8 16v, the car is fantastic for what i paid, i've almost got the bodywork where i want it but now my thoughts are turning to the engine.

Its done 145k and pulls really well, the problem is its burning oil. My suspicions lie with the valve stem oil seals as the symptons are worse 1st thing in the morning but tbh there is always a slight smell of burning oil. I have done a compression test and the figures were quite good i think (all in the green area of the gauge) 2 cylinders were 175 p.s.i and the other 2 were around 190 iirc. It has a cold start issue, could be something simple as it never fails to fire, it just takes a fair bit of effort even when warm. The other issue is a very small oil leak, not sure at all where this is coming from tho.

So what to do? Do i buy a replacement engine? I was thinking 2.0 16v ABF with low miles and pay to have them swapped.

Should i simply replace the valve stem oil seals myself and hope this is the problem?

Or pay someone to sort the engine out thats in it?

If i were to pay someone to get the current engine spot on, any ideas what it would cost?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm a little unsure as to the best option, i'm not after any more power i just want it running well.

Thanks in advance.

dunno if a new engine is best option seems like something could be done with the old one maybe :shrug:

if the valve seals have gone, the valve guides probably aren't far behind, so replacing the seals will just result in a temporary fix until the guides give up, closely followed by the piston rings! :?

Personally, (and this is what I did to my first Corrado which was a 16V!) I'd rebuild it... take the head off and send it to a machine shop to sort the guides and seals and give it a quick skim, get hold of a bore hohning kit and re-ring the pistons and re-hohn the bores... change the big end shells and oil pump while you're in there, and it'll all be happy for another 100K miles or so! 8)

just to add... parts for the KR engine are nice'n'cheap.... I seem to remember that I spent about £300 in total on the parts and the head work when I did my valver refresh, and that was about 11 years ago! :o